PDA

View Full Version : Intake Seals

britannic
10-06-2003, 13:18
The paper/card intake seal under the air cleaner (or in my case the Banks boost plenum) isn't man enough for the job and slightly leaks boost/oil.

Anyone know of a better solution or somewhere I can source a large oil/heat resistant O ring (I'm using O rings on the holding nuts)?

Eric Deslauriers
10-06-2003, 14:01
Yeah, let me know will ya?

I cut vacuum hose in 1/2 lengthwise, then used Duct tape to keep it in place.

Not pretty, but it has gone 1,000 miles so far, with much of it around 10-14psi and no problems.

I've been meaning to get by a marine or farm store to see what they have in that size.

Dieselboy
10-06-2003, 14:40
I'll take a look around the fluid power lab here for anything in that size. We've got some big, thick rubber and self sealing poly O-rings.

gmctd
10-06-2003, 19:11
The first useage I ever encountered for Super Glue (Contains cyanoacrylate ester - Caution: bonds skin instantly!) was an industrial o-ring kit, consisting of spools of rubber stock, a pack of single edge razor blades, and instructions for using original o-ring for diameter, cutting the new rubber stock to length, insuring the ends were exactly true-square, then Super Glueing the ends to form a new o-ring.
Worked every time, amid much scoffing (including my own).

jd

Peter J. Bierman
10-07-2003, 13:06
I use a (again) volvo O-ring we normaly use to seal hydraulic pump mountingflanges to the PTO on loaders and Dumptrucks.
For me is was a logical and cheap step.
If you want one I look around if I have a spare.

Peter

Dieselboy
10-07-2003, 15:06
If you find two, I'd like one as well. The fluid power lab here has some good seals, but they're not quite the right size. Just let me know whatever it costs plus postage.

Thanks,

britannic
10-07-2003, 16:51
Originally posted by Peter J. Bierman:
I use a (again) volvo O-ring we normaly use to seal hydraulic pump mountingflanges to the PTO on loaders and Dumptrucks.
For me is was a logical and cheap step.
If you want one I look around if I have a spare.

Peter Hi Peter, thanks for your kind offer, I'll be more than glad to buy one + shipping. Another option is if you know the Volvo part number please - we might be able to source them locally here in the US.

Peter J. Bierman
10-08-2003, 12:35
I'll look into it and post the partnumber here.
You have to find a Volvo construction equipment dealer in your area, truck partnumbers are different so that won't work.
Go look at Volvo.com in the CE section and go to the dealer locator.I tried it and it realy works, found our own workshop by typing just country and city.

Peter

Dieselboy
10-08-2003, 16:11
Thanks Peter. This might work out nicely. On Friday (here in Texas), I am making my first tow since I installed the turbo, and the first leg passes right by a Volvo CE. I can make the first part, then install the O ring when I do some maintenance in Dallas, and see how the second leg goes.

After Brittanic mentioned he was leaking oil around the intake, I did a check and so am I. The torque on the intake is good, so the seal should help.

Peter J. Bierman
10-12-2003, 13:09
OK boys here it is.
Sorry it took me a wile but britanic makes me work hard for him, taking pictures off the DB2 ;) .

The part number is 925267 and is used on the pumpflanges on a EW230B excavator.
Any VOLVO construction equipment dealer should be able to supply you with one.

The O-ring is a tight fit on the manifold but it has to be right in the corner to work.
Normaly O-rings fit in a chamber so it can't go anywhere under pressure.
I'm not sure I used this one but I am sure I'll use it if I replace it!

Don't know the cost, it different for every country.

I hope I helped you out with this,

Peter

britannic
10-12-2003, 17:01
Peter, many, many thanks for getting the part number for us - totally awesome!!

Peter J. Bierman
10-13-2003, 13:03
I have an update on the O-ring:
the size is 144.5 X 3 mm and it cost

britannic
10-13-2003, 14:42
Thanks Peter, I sourced mine from the Volvo CE in Sacramento for $2.19 ea. + shipping.

Peter J. Bierman
10-14-2003, 14:04
Glad I could help out!

Peter

rumbler1
10-16-2003, 13:33
We have a hydraulic repair shop in town that rebuilds anything hydraulic: pumps, cylinders, etc. They have most any size O ring you could ever want. You might want to check with such a place if there is one locally.