PDA

View Full Version : Temperature sending unit questions??

DieselYJ
10-07-2003, 06:22
On my 89 truck the temp gauge does not work and it does not go to high idle when it first starts.
Does this mean that the sending unit is bad??

Thanks in advance

CleviteKid
10-07-2003, 07:19
On the Civilian trucks, the temperature gage sending unit is at the outboard front of the driver side head, and the switch for the fast idle is at the outboard rear of the passenger side head. You can try shorting across the fast idle switch to see if it is bad. You will probably have to swap out senders to see if that is the cause of the dead temperature gage.

Did both functions work at one time with this transplanted engine? Did you notice if they both STOPPED at exactly the same time?

Dr. Lee :cool:

britannic
10-07-2003, 07:45
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
On the Civilian trucks, the temperature gage sending unit is at the outboard front of the driver side head, and the switch for the fast idle is at the outboard rear of the passenger side head. You can try shorting across the fast idle switch to see if it is bad. You will probably have to swap out senders to see if that is the cause of the dead temperature gage.

Did both functions work at one time with this transplanted engine? Did you notice if they both STOPPED at exactly the same time?

Dr. Lee :cool: Not sure about the HumVee, but those sender positions are the same on my military CUCV M1028.

DieselYJ
10-08-2003, 08:57
Sorry, guys, this if for a civilian truck not the humvee motor. Neither worked when i bought the truck so i have no idea how or when it/they went bad.

Thanks for the tips though, i will go and make sure that the connetions are good on both and try to switch them.