PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap questions

Terry Donlin
10-11-2003, 10:51
I'm swapping a 6.2 that threw a rod out of my '91 1500 suburban. I'm installing what I believe is a '81 6.2 J engine with about 10K miles on it.
Questions:
1. The J engine does not have a 3 conductor electrical connection plug on the injector pump that the C engine had. Is this an issue. The single conductor wires are hooked up to the pump though.

2. The J engine does not have an electrical connector on the vacuum pump that the C engine had. Do I need to put the C vacuum pump in the J engine?

3. Does anyone have a vacuum line diagram for either engine?

Thanks guys.
Terry

gmctd
10-11-2003, 13:43
The connector on the vac pump is the engine speed sensor, for the auto trans, and maybe emmisions computer. You'll need to use that. Vacuum pods are identical, other than that.
The device on the inj pump, also for the auto trans, should be installed on the J pump.
Seems like the vac diagram was on the emmisions label, on the hood, but you can get the Haynes or Chilton manual at Autozone, and such. Both have the diagrams.

jd

britannic
10-11-2003, 17:35
Originally posted by Terry Donlin:
I'm swapping a 6.2 that threw a rod out of my '91 1500 suburban. I'm installing what I believe is a '81 6.2 J engine with about 10K miles on it.
Questions:
1. The J engine does not have a 3 conductor electrical connection plug on the injector pump that the C engine had. Is this an issue. The single conductor wires are hooked up to the pump though.

2. The J engine does not have an electrical connector on the vacuum pump that the C engine had. Do I need to put the C vacuum pump in the J engine?

3. Does anyone have a vacuum line diagram for either engine?

Thanks guys.
Terry The "C" engine was also EGR, so some you can junk some of the vacuum and electrical connections that controlled it, now that you have a "J" engine.