PDA

View Full Version : cold weather plug ins

James68352
12-21-2005, 06:49
I am curious if any one has seen a thermostat controlled power outlet. I messed up and left my truck plugged in a week or so ago when the temps got up around 40. My water heater in the lower radiator hose shot craps and burned a hole in my radiator hose. Also I found out the yahoos that had the truck before me didn't bother to use the right size so they cut the hose to make it fit, what a joke.

I would like to set up a power outlet that comes on at 30* outside temp and looking for ideas.

Thank you

Jim

CleviteKid
12-21-2005, 09:00
One thing you might consider is getting the block heater working again. Those are relatively easy to change out.

The second thing you might think about is to put the block heater on a timer, like the ones that control the lights when you are out of town and want to fool the burglers . . . I don't think you need to be heating the engine all the time when the temperature is below 30F. 2 to 4 hours of heat before you want to start 'er up should be enough for most evenings.

Dr. Lee (have not plugged the truck in since I moved to Miami) :cool:

BobND
12-21-2005, 13:42
http://www.thermocube.com/

I don't know what temp range would suit you best, but there's a couple to chose from. Our local hdwe sells these for $16.45.

moody
12-21-2005, 16:48
You can also get cords that only let electicity flow below freezing temps. Again in the $10 range.

James68352
12-22-2005, 13:44
Thanks for the info guys. I replaced the lower hose and the water heater. Looking good for now. My mechanic friend suggested I use a recirculating tank heater instead of a radiator hose heater, that is what he puts in all of our loaders and trucks.

Jim :D

ZZ
12-25-2005, 13:47
Why not use a factory block heater instead of a hose heater?

James68352
12-25-2005, 18:53
If you mean the block heater that goes in the left middle freeze plug, I would like to do that but right now I don't have the time to do it.

Jim

ZZ
12-25-2005, 19:18
Oh Ok. I was just curious. I have a new one for mine, but I'm not ambitious enough to change it. The cord on mine is getting frayed near the outlet plug