PDA

View Full Version : FAAAAST Dmax and CTD.

Alli-max
09-07-2002, 00:15
Well, I was going through town today and turned onto the highway and pulled right behind a ext. cab Dodge CTD. And then I see SMOKE POUR OUT. So I smiled real big and hit the tow / haul to throw it into Stage 4 on the Juice and get up beside him. Big ol 'Banks Power' decal on the door. I smiled... We never got to launch from a light (traffic) but I did run with him up to about 90 mph from a `20 mph rolling start. I was SLOOWLY pulling away from him, but not by much. I REALLY wanted to start off from the line.

BTW for you Texas boys on here... specifically down near Aggie land... It was a red Dodge truck with a 'Texas A&M' sticker on the back glass, with black wheels. Anybody know this truck?

NutNbutGMC
09-07-2002, 07:06
^..Be glad you guys didn't get up to 100 MPH. His Dodge would have smoked the Duramax. Also, be glad he wasn't in a mini-van. Same results. :D

mackin
09-07-2002, 08:02
Alli-max,

There is a guy on the TDR that post with a description of that truck I believe (Texas A&M)......We'll see if he starts bragging about how he fogged a D-Max , course he (they) won't refer to it as that .... :rolleyes:
More than likely he won't bring his experience there to close for comfort .....

MAC

Alli-max
09-07-2002, 20:06
you crack me up nutin... Everytime I see a minivan running the interstate at 80+, I think of you (and you can remove those sexual undertones RIGHT NOW) :D :D

Mackin... you know the name by chance?

mackin
09-07-2002, 20:48
Alli-max,

Not sure I just recall on the TDR there is a guy who cares a In big Block letters a tribute to Texas A&M and I think his truck is arrest me red with a Banks Kit.....When I'm there visiting I'll keep a eye out for him.....Give him a big HOWDEE Texas style......LOL

MAC :D

Bart Timothy
09-08-2002, 02:38
Look at http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=4679 for an interesting D/A CTD interchange.

mackin
09-08-2002, 08:18
Real interesting to say the least......More creative writing .....I ran a Dodge with a comp box on route 91 N, STOCK I was and he couldn't pull away from me .......Ran right on his bumper right to shut down .....My truck is still in one piece, and nothing dripping either.....My truck was 3/4 months old had barely 5k on the clock.....It was discussed with the member on the TDR and he acknowledge to me he had the setting only on three and didn't have his propane on,so HE said,but he was make'in lots of smoke,but I will take his word for it ......So I will chalk it up as BS, no need for the VIN......Swear to it on a stack of Cummins Blocks....... ;) If I was juiced then and he switched up to a higher level surely I wouldn't come up on the short end of the pure acceleration, but short on the rev limiter ......No dripping head gasket or blown Turbo.....So this guy Scottie ought to get some Scottie and wipe up his you know what story......

MAC

Not looking to set up a BRAND WAR situation but just stating what I've experienced......When I've takin my buddy out who owns a 98 D/C for a ride in my D/A it's amazing what reality really is compared to what you read on the net .......

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Alli-max
09-08-2002, 10:00
Not me Bart, but interesting. I will have to keep up with TDR page myself.

hdmax(mike)
09-08-2002, 12:16
I was out run by a Ford diesel one ton dually yesterday. On a hill at that.

I looked over as they passed. I could read her lips, "yea it`s a diesel"

I had a Gross Combined weight of 15,440#, The Ford had a large 6 maybe 8 horse trailer (5th wheel)

I was going 68 mph (with cruse set) smile.gif Oh yea! I passed a Vet on the same hill :eek:

After seeing all the post about guys claiming to out run others on grades while towing. I thought it was funny when the Ford PSD passed.
I figured I`d post the whoopin` I took at the hands of a Ford.

By the way, I wasn`t in the race! smile.gif
Grade was maybe 4%, I was just pokin` along in 5th gear.

If it helps any; I was held up in traffic as we got to the camp grounds. Yep! you guessed it! That same Ford was now going slower then I wanted to go. Maybe he was in limp mode :D :D

hoot
09-08-2002, 13:09
What's the VIN number of your losing truck?

Breck
09-08-2002, 13:31
The CTD's with Banks aren't the fast trucks, as you will see on the TDR. A lot of guys on the TDR know that the Banks stuff is OK but over priced for what you get. You can improve upon it (HP and price) by shopping around.

FAAAAST=98mph; quick maybe? ;)

3TV
09-08-2002, 15:08
I hear these kind of stories all the time. That, and personal experience, tell me that the new kid on the block for light truck diesel engines (Isuzu) is the latest target for every pumped up ego driving a pumped up Ford or Dodge. Just this morning while on the way into work I pulled up behind an older Ford diesel (? '95), with Banks decals all over it, at a stop light. I saw him looking at my new Averado in his rearview mirror, and as soon as the light turned green he fogged me in the densest cloud of black smoke I have seen in a long long time. The smoke was so thick that I just sat there at the light for a few seconds to let it clear before I started off. It was about three miles until the next series of traffic lights, so I passed him on that open stretch of four lane road, and there was no challenge from him. But sure enough, at the first in the next series of traffic lights I manage to hit it red, and he pulls up right beside me, gawking over at me like he wants to race. I HAD to race him, to stay ahead of "the black cloud", and managed to beat him very easily, without even using full throttle. Well we somehow got stopped at the next two lights as well, and this guy kept trying to race me each time. Geeze guy, give it up, your smokey Ford diesel couldn't keep up the first time, so quit trying over and over again. The environment could have used a break :rolleyes:

3TV

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: 3TV ]</p>

bluenote
09-08-2002, 19:46
What I find interesting about these tales is that there's always bombing involved. The CTD has been on the market for much longer than the Duramax, so naturally it has more aftermarket performance products available. What I want to see is one of these storytellers line up with us stock vs stock. Until the 6.0L PSD comes out, I personally don't see any of 'em beating us in stock configuration. It remains to be seen what the performance of the new PSD will be. Frankly, I hope it's really good, as that will push GM to raise the bar again. I'm pretty happy with the performance of my stock truck, and although performance mods are tempting, I doubt I'll do any in the near future. Come on F*rd and D*dge guys, line your "un-bombed" trucks up for a change!

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2002, 01:48
It doesn't matter what really happened, in any story. Even the British have their version of the Revolutionary War.

Breck
09-09-2002, 08:37
Alright bluenote.....I live in MI and I'll take you up on it. Stock 2000 CTD; I'll wager that I am faster? It will run 115mph, can you keep up? ;)

Alli-max
09-09-2002, 10:09
BWAHAHAHA!! He gotcha there Bluenote! Unless you are running 44's or something! hehehehe... good one.

I can see Nutn's steam coming from his ears now... :D

bluenote
09-09-2002, 13:19
Breck has nothing on anyone.

A few months ago he was talking trash about the Duramax right here at TDP and I offered him the chance to line 'em up. His resonse was...NO RESPONSE! He didn't seem to want any part of it then. Now, he seems willing to jump right in there. Why now? Could it be that his "stock" CTD isn't really stock anymore and now he feels he might be able to hang with the Duramax? The fact that my Chevy has a speed limiter is the only reason he would have a chance at anything. Off the line, through the

Kennedy
09-09-2002, 17:03
I ran against a beefed Dodge this weekend in a timed pull up a 6% grade with a 16,200# trailer in tow...

mackin
09-09-2002, 17:06
bluenote,

That's the real deal BLUE....... :D :D Can we get a "Z" speed rated tire in a "E" weight.........?????? tongue.gif

For me I'm a zero to 35 guy know I'm as paranoid as they come, I'm racking license points like there is no tomorrow......They'll be talk MACKIN is slooooow but see me in 05...... :eek:

MAC ;)

Ah don't you worry I'd rather be hoof'in it then be beat ,VALENTINE 1, ya gotta save me,she's on the way........But I'm getting good fuel econo waiting for it.......

JK,

AND ?????????

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GBurton
09-09-2002, 17:11
kennedy said "I ran against a beefed Dodge this weekend in a timed pull up a 6% grade with a 16,200# trailer in tow"

AND........ what happened?

mtomac
09-09-2002, 17:30
We should all meet at US131 Dragway in Martin (South of Grand Rapids) They have test & tune every Friday starting @ 6pm. Let me know when, I'll be there...

Breck
09-09-2002, 17:35
bluenote, how come you didn't take me up on it this summer? Heck your a school teacher and had the whole summer off! By the way, I never ran my mouth off and talked trash as you mentioned.

I was willing and still am (no 95 any more), to run against anyone stock/non stock, ford, chevy, dodge, gas, diesel, 0-??, from a role on, what ever, with a non stock 95 and had no takers....I checked back here often. I even mentioned that I didn't care if I was beat; I just like racing.

:D

I have a "new" to me totally stock ctd (for a short while, Edge EZ coming soon) 2K auto, 3.54's.

If you live in the "Motor" and run up north ever weekend, like everone does from down there, let me know and and we can run them. I'm thinking 0-60 you got me beat but from 98 on up....sorry I got some thing on you!

Only stipulation: not this weeekend, (I'll be gone, work) If you don't want to run against the ctd I can get my in-laws mini van ;) but I know who will win (top end) as well.

Is anyone working on getting rid of that speed limiter thing on the Durmax? I sure they would run well into the 100's if they found what wire to cut?

Kennedy
09-09-2002, 17:47
MP should have the story up soon.

FYI, my truck was running 14.7's and 8's in MT at 8000# (4 adults inside) on the G-tech.

0-60's at 6.20's never leaving with more than 10psi in 4x4.

Breck, I wouldn't wager too much just yet...

oneton
09-09-2002, 18:18
Crap, and I'm going to miss all the fun. We should have gotten together last month. I was running around in WI, IL, MI for two weeks. Bummer!!!

Breck
09-09-2002, 18:25
I know I'll get beat in a short distance race with a stock ctd smile.gif so I won't wager more then a beer! The 95 was another story Kennedy....I would be about where you are time wise...but it was lighter but it had 230K+ miles in her.

By chance where you in Auburn, MI back in May/June time frame? eating at Pat and Jerry

bluenote
09-11-2002, 19:08
Breck-

Here is a quote of yours within a TDP thread from May of this year. This was regarding a question from someone considering a DMax that had been traded in.

"Maybe he traded it in because he was "whipped" by a D***e or F**d???"

This sounds like a little trash talking to me. After another of your responses, I explained that I only lived 20 miles from Saginaw and would be happy to show you my tail lights. You never responded. The web addy for the thread is...

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003092&p=

At least now you admit that I'd take you until the speed limiter..that's progress compared to some of you stubborn D*dge boys! I'll give you the edge at the top end, but not because your engine is more powerful. It's merely because of the programming again. BTW, the reason GM puts the limiter on is because of the speed rating of the tires. We may all be running high load range tires, but they don't have the high speed ratings. I don't intend to chip/reprogram my stock truck because it has all the power/performance I need..however, what would you say to running against someone who has one of the new PCM reprograms that raise/remove the speed limiter??

FYI - I live about halfway between Flint and Saginaw.

hoot
09-11-2002, 19:42
On a side note not to be confused with bluenote: my father (former GM employee) has purchased a gmc with the dmax so I'll be around here a little more.

Like father, soon to be, like son..... ;)

Breck, have you seen the 2003's? You like?

Kennedy
09-11-2002, 20:04
Breck,

Yup that was I! We (Elaine and I) stopped off to spend the night there, and meet a customer (Russ) at the "Hotel" along with Dan H from Midland...

George Gozelski
09-14-2002, 03:29
Breck,

I am a former CTD owner and now own a Dmax. If you plan on running stock against a stock Dmax, you are going to embarass yourself. Besides, what's all this crap about "running" anyway? A "run" for a diesel should consist of an equally weighted trailer going up some nice long hill. (Kind of like they did in the big 3 shootout where the Dmax beat the pants out of the other two, you should read about it in the front of this site!)

Breck
09-15-2002, 18:07
Hoot,

Yes I have seen the the 03 Chevy's and all I can say is; UGLY! I like the GMC's though. I don't think that I will be trading in the "new to me" CTD yet; it only has 65K on it. I almost have my uncle a GMI grad, and an engineer for GM with over 40 years of getting a CTD: It probably doesn't hurt that his son works as an engineer for Damlier Chrysler?

George,

If you look at the title of the post, "FAAAAST Dmax and CTD" my reference to FAAAAST was made tongue and cheek. 98mph is not fast nor is 115'ish from my stock CTD, but none the less 115 is faster? Fast doesn't not always = quick.

Much like most here, I didn't purchase my truck to go fast. If you owned an older CTD like I did then you know that they are slow and not quick if left stock. If modified, torque plate, injectors, etc... they run better than anything out there in my honest opinion. I know after driving mine for over 235,000 miles that they will out run (up to 85 mph) and out pull any of the newer trucks.

V/R

Breck

George Gozelski
09-16-2002, 02:59
Breck, I don't think you know what you are talking about. I'll grant you that a hopped up CTD will beat about anything out there. But, c'mon, how many of us are going do dump $10,000 grand (or more) into a truck to make it that "stump pulling" monster. Both of my CTD's were good pullers; the 5 speed pulled better than the automatic, but neither one of them, on their best day, could outpull my Dmax.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Dodge trucks but they missed the boat on the crew cab market so I went with the general.

Breck
09-16-2002, 07:40
George,

Adjust the AFC=free (Air Fuel Control)

TST torque plate=$275 you can buy an off brand for $150 or better yet grind your own. At this point you will be running better than any thing out there stock.

Injectors= $375

Shift kit= $60 or you can buy a valve body that someone already has done a shift kit for you $300

Build you own 4" exhaust= $250

Low stall torque convertor= $550-950

advanced timing= $60

George, I did all that for much less than 10K and did if myself, less the torque convertor install and timming advance (Could have borrowed someones timing tools and done it for free or bought the tools I'm thinkg $150 worth for one time use).

Your probably right, I don't know what I'm talking about. ;) I will confess I don't know ever thing pertaining to to ISB's and 6TBA's but like individuals here, I was willing to learn from these type of message boards.

V/R

Breck

P.S. Things in AK must cost a lot more?

hoot
09-16-2002, 08:05
Everybody is different. Some people love buying a machine and then doing the neccessary mods to make it stand out and do a better job than factory.

Some consider it a hobby and some insist on a certain brand but aren't happy with it in stock form.

There are fellows that use their trucks in conditions that benefit greatly from the mods.

Others want it ready to go from the factory and like to avoid warrany issues.

I personally love having the higher stock power to start with.

Swayse
09-16-2002, 08:41
My old truck was a 2001 Dodge 5 speed. DD stage one injectors $500 or $400 with a TDR discount, Edge Comp box $700, exhaust $550, clutch to handle the new found power $500, the look on the faces of people when they seen it run a 14.26 at 93 mph with 315 75 16 and a 2" front lift, priceless. Bought it for $31,500 and sold it with 73,000 miles on it for $23,000. Great truck, just wanted something different. Love my new truck, but my old one still has my respect.

If ya'll wanna brand bash, lets tease the PSD guys, that's always fun. :D