PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past: Banks 6.2L Turbo System

More Power
10-14-2003, 08:53
The Banks Sidewinder Turbo System
More Power for the 6.2L
By Jim Bigley

http://www.TheDieselPage.com/members/features/banks.htm

The NA (naturally aspirated) 6.2L diesel satisfies most people in terms of power for light-duty use. In a typical pickup or Suburban, the 6.2L will (if properly geared) run at any freeway speed and can haul moderate loads quite easily. However, adding a turbo moves the 6.2 into a whole new realm of possibilities. Go here to learn what we discovered after adding a Banks Sidewinder turbo system to our 6.2L powered GMC.

SteveMc
10-17-2003, 17:00
Could this be?? I purchased an 87 GMC Suburban that has a Banks Turbo about 11 onths ago. The second owner, whom I purchased it from, thought the first owner had the turbo installed when new for towing. The installation looks the same as in your pictures, right down to the crinkly heat shield protecting the heater hose on top of the turbo.

With 197,000 miles?? on the unit, it shows signs of pushing some oil, but nothing to get alarmed about. The bearings only show a little laterial movement and are still smooth. What a nice piece of equipemnt.

britannic
10-18-2003, 12:09
Originally posted by SteveMc:
Could this be?? I purchased an 87 GMC Suburban that has a Banks Turbo about 11 onths ago. The second owner, whom I purchased it from, thought the first owner had the turbo installed when new for towing. The installation looks the same as in your pictures, right down to the crinkly heat shield protecting the heater hose on top of the turbo.

With 197,000 miles?? on the unit, it shows signs of pushing some oil, but nothing to get alarmed about. The bearings only show a little laterial movement and are still smooth. What a nice piece of equipemnt. New turbos have lateral movement as well; it's designed in for heat expansion in the shaft and they rely on oil pressure to remove it. Longitudinal play in the shaft is an issue however.