PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 swap help into my Jeep Scrambler

Truck
12-21-2005, 21:47
Well it looks like my previous post on help in this area was lost with the crash. I was locked out as well so don't know if I got any more then the couple of replies, soooo I will start over. Please post back up any good info if you previously posted as I don't have record of any of it.

New to diesels and learning as quick as ya'll can teach me.

The project: Building an 83 Jeep Scrambler (CJ-8) Dynatrac Dana 60s front & rear/5.13 gears/disk brakes, Dana 300 xfer case, NV4500 tranny, 37" SSRs and a 6.2L diesel out of an 86 Burb.

The questions:
Any special considerations that I need to pull the engine?
What all do I need to take from the donor? (I can take off what ever I need but can't keep it around, I know it is better to, but can't)
What are the MUST do's for the engine once pulled while on the stand?...Planned on at least a gaskets & seals, but don't want to rebuild it..

That is all I can remember at this time of night..as ya'll reply I'm sure I will remember my other questions.

Cheers,

Truck

More Power
12-22-2005, 12:39
Have a look:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/fleming.htm

Jim

Truck
12-24-2005, 06:30
Yes, I have seen that awhile back, one of the things that motivated me to move this direction. I'm not sure about the turbo though on the trail. I have NO experience to back it up it just seemed might be touchy. In anycase I don't have turbo anyway, mine is NA 6.2.
Jim, is this your rig? Did you have any issues fitting exhaust manifolds between the frame rail? I've heard it might be tough on a CJ (don't know if wranglers have a wider frame)

Things I remembered from the couple of replies before were manual plug or pump controler(don't remember which). Need more info, I'm to new to know what this is and why I need it.
Still would like any info on the questions above..
I'm starting disassembly this week..some of the extras (A/C, headliner/door w/elect locks & windows, etc.) are going in my CUCV.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Truck

[ 12-27-2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Truck ]

trbankii
12-27-2005, 04:36
Try a search for "jeepsj" in the various forums. He is swapping a '97 6.5 into an '87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Here is one of his posts on his project in the member's forum:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003794

And here is a post with pictures of his custom exhaust to get things to fit:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006933

More Power
01-05-2006, 22:45
Truck,
Nope, that 6.5 Jeep belongs to Jim Fleming. We all got to see his Jeep at the 2001 Rendezvous in Ohio.

Another Jim (Jim Allen) owns a Banks turbo'ed 6.2L diesel Bummer (fiberglass Hummer replica) on a 1983 Chevy Blazer chassis, and he wheels his rig. You're right, the turbo doesn't spool much on the trail, but does help on the any power climb.

Jim

doncannon
01-27-2006, 02:55
Hello All,

Truck: how is the scrambler coming?

Don

Truck
01-27-2006, 19:25
slow..I am almost finished stripping the suburban donor and about ready to have it hauled off. But I'm swapping my dynatrac D60s from my project to my other scrambler this weekend and next along with a couple of other upgrades to be ready for a big wheeling trip on the 11th. All this will set me back a bit. But I will be back and start working on the engine. So I will have lots of questions. I've been reading the couple of books of old threads I ordered here on my commute to work the last couple of days. That is schooling me on diesels.

Truck

dieselcrawler
01-28-2006, 11:12
Having messed around with jeeps a bit, the only thing that comes to mind for me when thinking of swaping the 6.2L into a CJ/YJ is the small-ish grill area, and how are ya gonna get that huge radiator in there?

Back in the day, my pride and joy was a '78 CJ-7 that I totaly redid. Sanded and painted the frame, bored/rebuilt 304 V-8, T-5 5sp trans, D300 transfer case, M20 rearend with 4.56 gears and locker, one pc axles, D30 frontend, spring over lift, fiberglass tub (with the tail gate opening), full roll cage, new soft top, All rolling on 35's. Sure was sweet. Took about a year and a half to build.

Good luck with your build up...

Greg

Truck
01-29-2006, 04:09
Yes, I've been thinking about the radiator. I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably end up with a large core aluminum radiator like the 'Be Cool' one.

Truck