PDA

View Full Version : Bad fuel pressure regulator module?

truck_n
05-19-2003, 13:18
Has anyone had problems with the fuel pressure regulator on '01 Duramax/Allisons? The dealer says I have a bad one that's causing blue smoke at idle. It's a $395.00 special order part and 6 hours labor. At 168,000 miles, I am out of warranty so it's my wallet. Any thoughts?

Kennedy
05-19-2003, 15:59
Cheaper than a pump I'm sure, but not how much.

I'd be inclined to watch the rail psi on a scan tool ad see how well it follows desired. These regulators will typically give you an idle surge or lopey idle when they are going bad.

The 6hrs labor sounds high. Dmaxallitech do you have any figures?

[ 05-19-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
05-19-2003, 20:18
6 hours!! Heck, I will come out to California if there gettin that!!...

Parts are less then 100 bucks, You will need the regulator(duh). Also will need upper rad hose oring where it goes into t-stat block ( I always take it apart there, works best for me) and a gallon of coolant. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night charging more then 3 hours, Maybe 3.5 tops and that would include putting in any updates..

Might wanna shop this one a little

dmaxalliTech
05-19-2003, 20:23
Just read JK's thoughts again, he is right. Usually the only trouble a faulty regulator will give is the lopey idle. I have yet to see one cause blue smoke. I would wanna see rail pressure data also on this one.....Might be something deeper

truck_n
05-20-2003, 18:23
The dealer says that only the problem showing up on the computer is a "fuel pressure regulator" that is flowing to much fuel. I am quoted $395 for the module and 6 hours labor which equates to an $1100 dollar estimate. Than they are going to rediagnose to see if there are any other faults. They tell me they can't check injectors until the regulator is replaced and they can't check the regulator separately. Anyone know of an experienced Duramax technician in California? Other than GM customer service, which supports the dealer, does anybody know of anyone in GM that I could call?

dmaxalliTech
05-20-2003, 18:38
try another dealer for second opinion first