PDA

View Full Version : 1982 K2500 TH400 braces

wvo
12-23-2005, 14:48
I heard some clanking under the truck about a month ago and found that the brace rod connecting to the transfer case had come loose from its engine connection and had broken off at the front bolt on the transfer case. I thought I would bring it to a local welder for a fix but I didn't have a socket big enough to remove the two bolts that held the rest of it onto the transfer case. Not the daily driver so I put it off. Then last week I start to hear an intermittent ticking/ clicking sound from down there when I accelerated, so I figured my procrastination must have paid off :( . When I removed the inspection cover I was expecting a flexplate problem or something. But luckily it looks like it was only one of the flex plate bolt heads nicking the inspection cover. So hopefully I just need to get the brace back on and the clearance will be OK again. I also noticed that the inspection cover only had a brace rod connecting to the transmission (TH400) on the driver side. There was an open bolt hole on the passenger side of the inspection cover and it looks like there should have been a brace rod connected there as well. So, (Sorry for the rambling) does anyone know a good place to get a transfer case brace rod and a transmission brace rod? I am in New Jersey and have had no luck with the internet or the local junk yards (Have not gone to a GM stealer yet)

Thanks in advance

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2005, 15:04
There is only one brace. I've broken several and have had just as good luck welding them as replacing with new. Once you get it off, have a welding shop grind the two pieces to a near point (save 1/4" of the original break point), then fill-weld it. Be sure to get the angle correct. You should be able to id the angle by the break points. Cool it slowly, or it'll crack real soon. A loose cover will rattle like a marbles in a coffee can, and can contact the FP bolts under some conditions.

Robyn
12-26-2005, 19:06
I have an 86 dually here with that bar missing and it will make wierd noises if you romp it.
The brace is a needed item. There should also be two bars that go from the flywheel cover up to the motor mounts too. They are all needed to keep the bell housing from tweeeeeeeeeeeeeking and cracking under heavy use.
RC

wvo
01-09-2006, 05:09
Thanks for the responses. I think I can fabricate the missing transmission brace myself. But as for the transfer case rod it will be off to the welder.