PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion

palumbo27
10-20-2003, 20:18
I am considering options here and need some help. I have a 93 6.2 banks turbo, 160,500 miles. I am considering options for the engine at this time. I want to use a MHI turbo and do other power adding mods to it. The question is to rebuild first or not to. I have no idea what the compression numbers are, but it is unbeliveably easy to start, even down to our whopping 35 degree mornings that we get once a year. Oil PSI is 50 PSI cold and about 40PSI warm at 1200 RPM, idle is around 25-30 hot. Seems to have alot of blowby if i open the oil fill with it running. No knocks or ticks.

If I do rebuild it, should I use 18:1 pistons? Its towing days are primarily over, but it may still be asked to tow 7000LBS occassionaly.

It is being turned into a show truck and will see daily use. I am more looking for HP here, I want to whoop a PSD pretty much. smile.gif

84 Convert
10-21-2003, 21:44
How much money are you wanting to spend? If money is no object , you could possibly copy the power project engine if you were to go to 6.5 turbo parts get an intercooler etc.. With the '93 body style you shouldn't have the problems with fitment of that system like those of us with the pre-88 style and I'm sure that you could easily sell the Banks if that was the direction you were going to take.
On the other hand, if money is relatively tight, you could do your power mods and rebuild the engine later as part of an ongoing upgrade plan. During the rebuild, you could go to 18:1 pistons and install an intercooler at the same time, with fuel delivery upgrades to match the capabilities of the lower compression pistons.
Of course, if you suspect ANY part of your engine be sure to fix that first. I suspected the head gaskets in my crew cab and I turned out to be right...even without a turbo!

Gregg

mhagie
10-22-2003, 07:42
The 18:1 pistons are a mixed bag.
When I ordered my 6.5 reman from The diesel Depot I was ready to go with 18:1 pistons and Jamie told me that it depends on the application they are not for everyone.
Seeing as how mine is a 1/2 ton that will not pull extremely heavy loads Jamie said it wasn't worth it, a 3/4 ton pulling at max GVW is another story thats where the 18:1 excells.
If I was building a engine for a 3/4 I would duplicate the original power project w/the 300Hp it has well over 100k on it now w/out any problems. :D