PDA

View Full Version : vac pump question

85-m1028
12-31-2005, 15:18
I have noticed there is some oil drips down the front of my vac pump and about a 1/2 cup or so of oil in the block valley, it pulls 24" mercury but the oil is running down the back of the engine, my haynes manual says the pump is bad! what I need to know why does it leak and can I just get a replacement pod instead of the whole unit with drive gear maybe save some $$

ZZ
12-31-2005, 20:13
Is there a way to change the o-rings around the pod where it sets in the intake?

BobND
12-31-2005, 21:36
The "pod" is the actual vacuum pump part... the diaphragm assembly that is at the top of the unit, and to the side.

The drive part that goes down into the block is sealed to the block by a simple paper gasket.

(There IS an "O" ring between the pod and the drive, however.)

85-m1028
01-01-2006, 09:33
the oil is coming from the perforated circle at the front of the pod, I never thought about it comming from a bad o-ring, is this just blowby gasses? maybe I need to replace the cdr valve for good measure?

john8662
01-01-2006, 10:21
Leave the CDR alone, it's fine.

The Pod needs to be replaced, because they will go to leaking exactly where you are describing. If you have oil coming out of the vents on the pod, then you need to replace it, it's not the o-rings at that point.