PDA

View Full Version : High boost problem!!!!!

99gmccrew
07-13-2004, 18:04
I've been experimenting with high boost pressures.
Sometimes I'm getting up to 17psi with my boost controller. I'm liking the added performance but hating the hassle of replacing the fittings. I'm getting the clamps as tight as I can without stripping them. The problem I'm having is that my silicone fittings keep blowing off when I'm pulling a sustained boost pressure above 12psi. I noticed when I was installing my intercooler that the factory turbo to intake connection was glued with what appeared to be some kind of silicone sealer. Does anyone know what I should use or if I should use anything? Thanks all!

rjschoolcraft
07-13-2004, 18:13
What type of clamps are you using? You might try some type of adhesive, but I've never had any problems with mine blowing off.

The clamps that came in my kit have a metal sleeve inside the actual band clamp. I assume that protects the rubber hose connector, but it may also help even out the clamp force.

On edit:

I looked at the pictures that you have in the URL in your signature. I bet you're not having any trouble with the clamps on top near the turbo charger. If you cannot use that style on the lower connections, you might try double clamping...if you have enough overlap to grip.

99gmccrew
07-13-2004, 18:24
I'm using t-bolt style clamps. The kind with the spring on them to hold tension when they expand and conntract. I think the problem may be that my
pipe has no flare on the ends, like the type you see on your radiator connections. I just dont want to use any type of sealer that will breakdown and get into the intake.

Barry Nave
07-14-2004, 02:26
Try using a rubber base caulking.
One that is used as a sealent on seams for a rubber roof system. I us this type of caulking over silly cone :D

Turbine Doc
07-14-2004, 11:23
Hi temp RTV, also double clamps, use tee & std hose, also for most effective you need a bead on the tubes for the clamps to work against, take some acetone or alcohol to the tubes & hose connections to remove the oil residue before applying RTV.

patrick m.
07-14-2004, 14:53
Originally posted by 99gmccrew:
I'm using t-bolt style clamps. The kind with the spring on them to hold tension when they expand and conntract. I think the problem may be that my
pipe has no flare on the ends, like the type you see on your radiator connections. I just dont want to use any type of sealer that will breakdown and get into the intake. thats the problem, no rib.
i wouldnt want to use sealer either, it will make a mess if you ever have to remove a pipe to gain access to something else.

99gmccrew
07-14-2004, 20:54
I think I'll try the RTV. Hope it works. It seems to be failing where the pipe connects to the IC on the hot side. Thanks for the responses.

Billman
07-15-2004, 02:48
Is it possible that your intercooler is too restrictive??

99gmccrew
07-15-2004, 07:54
Judging from the outstanding performance I'm getting while it is connected I would say that, no it is not too restrictive. The intercooler has 3" ports compared to the 2.5" pipes that I have used. The IC is said to give only a 0.2/psi pressure drop at 15psi.

99gmccrew
07-19-2004, 12:49
I have added clamps to every joint. Double clamps where there was room, where there wasn't room I added a clamp right in the middle where the pipes butted up to each other. This seems to have solved the blow off problem. I climbed every hill I can find, pedal to the metal. I'm getting over 15/psi and no problems. I used RTV silicone on the hot side of the intercooler. This truck is awesome. Thanks everyone for your input.