PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Coolant Leak!!!

nate_o23
01-13-2006, 14:23
I have had my 85 Sub for about a year and it has run great except it is always leaking coolant. First it leaked around the upper hose. The clamp was tight so I added a 2nd clamp and the leak stopped. Then it started leaking around the seam on the right side of the radiator. I used some "mechanics duct tape"( aka JB Weld) and the leak stopped. Then a few weeks later it started leaking from the other side of the radiator! This time I decided to do it right so I took the rad. out and had a rad shop braze the leak. Well it has been good for a couple of weeks but yesterday I discovered a puddle of AF under the truck. This is driving me nuts!!! Is there a reason it keeps developing new leaks?? What gives?? It doesnt overheat it just leaks a lot.

DmaxMaverick
01-13-2006, 16:22
21+ years of service will do that. If that radiator is original, you should just replace it with new. I've replaced (not recored) the radiator twice on my '85, after an experience like yours....over 10 years ago. Heat and pressure cycles fatigue the metal, and it'll give way. There was a time I had the radiator out once a month for one reason or another. That got old real fast. My radiators lasted about 200K. After the first episode, I decided to just replace it if enough miles/time got racked up.

Keep messing with old parts, and they'll keep failing. Old parts will be more sensitive to other issues that come with age. Be sure the pressure cap, overflow tank and thermostat is up to snuff. Use only 50/50 coolant, either premix or with distilled water, and keep it fresh. Adding a sacrificial annode is another good idea to keep corrosion to a minimum. While you have the system drained, it would also be a good idea to change the block heater. It's an easy job (hardest part is draining coolant, and you'll already be there).

nate_o23
01-13-2006, 16:26
Yeah I was afraid I might have to replace the raditor but I dont have the money. How much did you have to pay for a new radiator???

HammerWerf
01-13-2006, 17:38
Nate,

I had the rad on my 83CC replaced late this summer. Brand New 4 row radiator. Took up every inch of the tanks, big 1/2" tubes. Craig Radiator supplied the new core. They are made here in California. My shop has had good luck with them here in the Central Valley summer heat. Cost of material and labor was about $350. I pulled the rad and handed it to them.

Kragan has rads available for about $325, but they are mostly 3 row designs.(web: cskauto, click shopping)

If you need more info, email: hammerwerfer1976@yahoo.com

HammerWerf

GregCrabb
01-15-2006, 15:25
I had the same dilemma as you, replaced mine also. I got mine from AutoZone, 4 row, cost around $325-350 (couple years ago, can't remember exact).Did all myself. Now have to replace the AC condenser :mad: