PDA

View Full Version : Another "Bullet Proof" 700r4

TRASHCAN
10-31-2003, 15:29
Well it's a short story (sort of). I am driving to town in my CUCV with a swapped in 700r4. I am cruising along at 62 mph and start up a slight grade. I give the truck a little gas to give me enough umph in overdrive to get over the hill. The trans kicks down into 3rd, bad stuff happens. As the trans kicks down the engine sounds like it is going to come out from under the hood, serious revs. I immediately let off the gas and pull over to the side of the road. First thing I check is my shorts, they where okay. Next I move to the trans. Fluid level is good and still looks and smells like trans fluid. I have a temp gage, no problem there. Next I checked the "TV" cable, appears to be fine. I start the truck back up and I now only have first and reverse. The trans seems like it wants to shift, but slips once it gets into second. None of my manuals cover a whole lot on automatic transmissions other than change the fluid and filter or take it to someone who charges a lot of money. I know a lot of you out there are running 700r4's and I am hoping that you can give me some ideas on where to look. I had the trans built with all the upgrades about 3 years ago. The trans has about 10,000 miles on it and hasn't really been abused. I am thinking clutch problem, but I don't know what gears are shared on a 700r4. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

britannic
10-31-2003, 17:59
With clean oil and no smells, it sounds like a stuck TV booster valve which is sometimes happens in the first 500-3000 miles of a new 700R4's life.

You might be able to free it off, if you idle the truck and then tug the TV cable on and off manually a few times (don't use the gas pedal, just pull the TV cable only by hand). I had this happen to me and I feel your pain.

If this doesn't work, you'll know something is wrong when you drop the tranny pan and find debris in there. If it's clean, then you'll need to drop the valve body and free the TV booster valve.

In the end, I had to drop the valve body on mine and clean all of the ports out, there was a very slight burr on the TV boost port which I cleaned out.

I have the upgraded .500" TV boost valve with the return srping, but this didn't help it overcome that burr.

Here's a really helpful site that got me up and going: Netgearhead 700R4 Forum (http://bbs.netgearhead.net/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=700r4)

aloharovers
11-03-2003, 14:26
I had a similar problem with a 700r4. Truck would only move when selector was in 1 or R.
Ended up being the 2-3 sprag clutch.