PDA

View Full Version : a good block to start?

doncannon
11-01-2003, 05:56
Hello All,
I would like to know what blocks are good to start building an engine and how you can tell the fabled "599" block from the rest?
Also is the old red engine better than a 84-86 black engine or should these be scraped infavor of the previously mentioned 599?
Thank you for all your help,
Don

mhagie
11-01-2003, 14:43
Don,I will explain things as I understand them with the disclaimer that I am no expert on this subject.
First the 599 originates from the casting numbers embossed on the rear of the block directly behind drivers side cyl head, there is a short flat spot between head and bellhousing mtg flange.
the passengers side reveals the date code a letter followed by three numbers the last being the year cast
The 599 (10149599) and the 12552929 are both of the same design meaning they are cast with the dual role of either being a 6.2 or with a minor overbore a 6.5, the advantage here is they can be bored to 6.5 without any compromise to cyl wall thickness.
The 2929 block usually has a date code of 94 which confuses people thinking that 93 was the end of the 6.2 The 2929 was cast as a replacement engine most likely a Mr. Goodwrench. The cyl wall thickness is the main reason for their popularity, but there are blocks of these numbers that have been known to crack.
As to the red block there are some that say strength wise they are the cream of the crop as they had a stronger casting than the rest but was discontinued because it was so hard it made machining more difficult.
The worst years are the first design of the piston oiler blocks but that was improved in the 99 and up blocks.
The school of thought is that if you find a seasoned used block crack-free it will most likely remain so.
The original power project 6.5 truck is a good example, Tough Guy has accumulated well over 100k with no ill effects. :D ........Merle

doncannon
11-05-2003, 18:25
Does anyone know where is a good place to get engine parts for a reasonable price?
I would like to turbo this engine so durability is the primary importance.
Thank you all,
Don

ps thanks mhagie

mhagie
11-05-2003, 19:18
I would check the advertisers section The Diesel Depot has a good rep.
Thats where I bought my 6.5 reman. :D ......Merle

painthorsman
11-07-2003, 18:24
Of the pre 90's blocks, the "red" block is the strongest with the earliest models having a casting date of 1981 (mine is a march1981 engine) The first series engines off the production line had a higher nickel content in the block, making them more durable but also harder to machine. At this time, GM was trying to impress the military as well as get over their self induced troubles arising from the 5.7 diesel years. The military trucks got the red block all the way into late 1983 and very early 84. Civilian engines after the 82 year were black. In the military, the engine got great reviews for a NA engine of its size but the 700R4 that it was bolted to was a piece of crap at the time and we replaced what seemed like hundreds of them in a couple of years time due to pump, seal & torque converter failures, trading them for the reliable TH350 and losing overdrive.

grape
11-09-2003, 14:43
Boy did I luck out, just purchased a short block from a wrecking yard here in town as a core, was the 2929 casting number. The guy said it was out of a 94, but who knows. Just finished removing the main caps and absolutely no cracks at all. He has one more, I might go back and see what number it is. After this engine is done the old red block can finally come out.

doncannon
11-11-2003, 11:54
I have a choice between a red engine and a black one (i think between 84-86). So would the red one be better than the black for a turbo based build up? I would like to try the 18:1 pistons and go for as much boost as possible then later add the intercooler.
Thanks again,
Don

arveetek
11-12-2003, 07:35
One thing to keep in mind about the '82 model red engines: the cylinder heads use coarse thread injectors, while all successive years are fine thread. This means that if you want to build a performance engine out of a red block with '82 model heads, you might want to consider getting a hold of some late model turbo heads to put on it. This way you can install high performance injectors.

My red block '82 engine has been running trouble free for over 100K miles after rebuild. I got it from a scrap yard. I have no idea how many miles were on it when I purchased it in 1996. I'm still running the orginal camshaft, pistons, rods, crank, lifters, etc. They looked like new when I tore it apart. I just installed new bearings, rings, and other mild rebuild parts.

Casey.