PDA

View Full Version : White smoke after I swapped heads

Ratau
07-05-2005, 05:03
After I discovered a crack between the # 4 inlet valve and pre combustion cup I replaces both 6.2 heads with remanufactured 6.5 heads and new 6.5 injector nozzles. The cold start switch corroded away so the previous owner blanked it off. Here in South Africa cold starts is not really a problem.

When I start the engine after a good nights rest it pumps white smoke out the passenger side exhaust. The smoke gets less, as the engine gets hot. When I put 12 volt on the HPCA connector when cold and then start there is almost no white smoke. It never smoked with the 6.2 heads.

I did not change or reset the IP timing since the heads was swapped. Does it only need IP fine-tuning or is there another problem? A injector that pops lower than the rest also crossed my mind.

JohnC
07-05-2005, 10:56
6.5 injectors pop at a higher pressure than 6.2 injectors. A 6.2 pump likely is marginal with those injectors and that may be the cause of the problem.

Ratau
07-06-2005, 05:08
JohnC

I hear what you say but if the IP is marginal with the 6.5 injectors why does the smoke disappear when the cold advance is on and also when it

JohnC
07-06-2005, 07:57
Because it's marginal?