PDA

View Full Version : Guess it would help to post this in the right place. 300hp motor.

Randee of the Redwoods
03-06-2004, 16:35
Won't be soon that's for dern-diddly-ern sure. Just bought a house. Woopee. Comes with a 2 car garage. Woopee! Nieghbors are already accustomed to the owner tuning light race cars (280Z) into the night. WOOPEE! Mortgage payments will wipe me clean every month. Ugh. But, at least I have a garage.....
What would it take to assemble a 300 hp electronic 6.5td? I'll assume not much if it's true that 230hp at the wheels can be obtained from an exhaust and chip. Well, exhaust is already on. Saying I picked up a running late model GM8 equipped engine(non-egr of course, like my current one ton truck), what else would I need? I'm not above $8400 from Penninsular or others, but looking for the learning experience of doing it myself. Did I mention I have a garage now?

Tough Guy
03-07-2004, 12:55
All you need is air(big turbo) and fuel(big pump).

I would advise that you add 18:1 pistons to the list for making that much power in a reliable manner...and consider a girdle for the bottom end.

Cheers

Randee of the Redwoods
03-07-2004, 16:22
Ok. But is that power obtainable without long trails of black smoke during acceleration? To that effect, I would be looking for a quick response turbo that could spool up quickly. So can I also assume that the basic layout of the engine can take the extra power?

Tough Guy
03-07-2004, 18:09
Have you read any of the Diesel Page power project build up series for the 6.5?

My truck is built to the Peninsular 300hp specs and has over 140,000 miles on it now. I pull trailers regularly and have had very little trouble with this set-up.

The quicker response turbo (GM-8) is nice for city driving but the opposite direction for pulling. a faster turbo will mean less smoke however....

Cheers

rjschoolcraft
03-07-2004, 18:58
The 96 that Kennedy used to have is built similar to Tough Guys except that it uses an electronic pump (OBDII) and a bigger non-wastegated turbo. The two are very comparable power wise.

charliepeterson
03-07-2004, 19:10
Don't forget the Intercooler!

Randee of the Redwoods
03-07-2004, 20:06
toughguy, what all is your setup? Which turbo did you choose? Smoke is the reason I'd like to stick with the GM8 turbo. I'd also read that the GM8 could not keep up with 18:1 pistons, even with the waste gate wired shut. It just didn't flow enough to fill the chambers. If I don't make it to 300hp, I won't be heartbroken, but I would like to add some oomph to this thing. It's rather lethargic as it is now and I think it's because of the 4x4, crew cab, long bed weight. The exhaust made a difference, but I'm looking for more. 300hp just does not seem that impossible to reach.

rjschoolcraft
03-08-2004, 04:00
Get the 1999 Feature Articles book. The whole story is there.

Marty Lau
03-08-2004, 08:16
Randee;

:D congrats on the house and garage! It sure make life much easier to work on vehicals. Also the Chineese say that a mans house is done when he's done. :eek:

Randee of the Redwoods
03-08-2004, 11:33
16ga, don't celebrate yet. Having some problems with the seller.
As for the 6.5 build up, I read the web part and will be purchasing the expanded articles for the pictures. I'm just curious as to how much grunt I can add to this grunt-challenged big truck. I learned a few things reading that article, too. Interesting that the PS and Cummins are running low comp pistons and high boost. Other than that, the motors are not really different from ours from a diesel makeup standpoint. Even the Dmax has gone under that umbrella. I used to be so impressed with their power numbers. Seems their numbers are almost superficial. Crank up the boost on any turbo engine and you can get super torque and hp numbers. Hmmm.......stump pulling muscle is easier to attain than I thought.
I'm still curious as to what I can get before having to go $$$$$$$ for the low comp pistons. Plus, I was under the impression the GM8 turbo could not keep up with the low comp pistons and I really don't want to shell out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a different turbo seeing as how there aren't many options for the 6.5 in that area. Since this is a name brand turbo, do you think the manufacturer may have some internal upgrades?

rjschoolcraft
03-08-2004, 12:28
Again, you really need to get the Feature Articles volume for 1999. Tough Guy also said it earlier... his truck is the Project Truck discussed in the articles. It runs the GM8 turbo and does very well. Kennedy's truck was built very similarly with the exception of using the electronic pump and a non-wastegated turbo charger (larger than the GM8). All your questions can be answered through the 1999 book.

My Suburban is now making power at a level similar to stock Power Strokes from the late 90's (I'm guessing in the 250 - 275 hp range). I am still running stock compression and a GM4 turbo. I would like to make some changes still, but am very happy with how the truck pulls now.

grape
03-08-2004, 12:29
To put a 60-1 inlet housing and wheel on your gm-whatever series turbo you have is about $400. This is a huge compressor housing, 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet. That compressor wheel moves enough air at 14 pounds to make over 400 horspower. I think the big drawback with the gm turbos that the hot rod guys have found is that the t3 family turbine housings are extrememly restrictive and the wastegate doesn't flow enough to keep the boost where it belongs.

Randee of the Redwoods
03-09-2004, 15:44
It just seems odd. I had always thought the astronomical power numbers from Dmax, Powerstrokes and the like were made by something more than just low compression pistons and 20 pounds of boost. So I guess low compression pistons and 20 pounds of boost in my 6.5 will result in 600 pounds of torque?
I like that inlet conversion. Seems like the way to go to to keep up with low compressions pistons. And from a price standpoint, it looks much more enticing than a $700 turbo replacement. Hmmm...
Ok. I'm at low compression pistons for now. Can the stock pump and stock injectors keep up or will they both have to be changed as well?

Tough Guy
03-09-2004, 17:24
Stock pump and injectors will work fine. Those are items that can be changed later. By adding the 18:1 pistons you basically are making the motor more reliable at higher HP levels. The new pistons will make it easier on the heads/gaskets...Again look at the girdle kit as well.

Cheers

Beedee
03-11-2004, 01:56
Hey Randee, got a kick out of your post about the house and garage. I insisted when we bought the last house that it had a 2 car garage.
Guess who still works out in the driveway. tongue.gif
House and wife for sale REAL CHEAP ;) ;) ;)
Good luck

Randee of the Redwoods
03-11-2004, 11:32
Well, as fate would have it, the seller came to his senses and the deal went through. I now own a house. The garage? Well.....yea, I'll still be in the driveway with the truck since there aren't too many garages that can swallow my crew cab long bed, including mine. As for the wife, I'll have to pass for now. I don't think I can afford it now. ;)

patrick m.
03-11-2004, 16:16
at least you can put the "stang" in the garage.

sometimes i long for those days when i was single ;)

Randee of the Redwoods
03-15-2004, 06:29
I don't know Patrick. Being single has it's drawbacks. Yea, I can focus on my hobbies and interests. Yea, I can work on that new motor myself now. But, you're broke either way. It's either blow my paychecks on parts for my vehicles, or watch it slowly erode while supporting "multiple family members". Single is nice, but I can't make love to my truck. But if I divorce(sell) it, I do get to keep the house. :D