PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a Marine and Truck 6.2L

TimK
03-13-2004, 20:16
I have been shopping on-line for a replacement long block for my 6.2L. (It broke a crank shaft and center main bearing a few months ago.) It appears the average price for a 6.2/6.5L long blocks for a truck is about $4100.00. However, there are long blocks out there for 6.2L Marine Diesels that are about half that price. Why the big difference? Other than the injection pump and maybe the accessories I can't think of any major difference in the block and heads. Can anyone tell my why getting a marine 6.2L long block won't work to repower my truck?

TimK

C.K. Piquup
03-14-2004, 04:43
I think the price differences you see are business-business.If anything the marine-builts should be more.The engines companies like PeninsularMarine are selling are not actually"Marine Engines",but truck engines built with marine components(pistons).Marine 6.2&6.5s are truck engines with more marine-specific components(cooling manifolds/water circulating system).The main difference is marine uses lower compression because of the constant-duty to keep temps down(&power up).Marine-use also stays away from electronics,if possible.Also,another reason for large price variation could be in the difference in what is considered "included".