PDA

View Full Version : Fusable link at starter

dieselcrawler
06-11-2005, 06:20
Hello all,
I have had the motor out of my K-30 CUCV, put on the turbo, and it's almost back together. I'm on the last of the little things before I find out if it's gonna work... What I found is a fusable link that I think went to the main lug of the starter. It is a red wire, with a moulded fusable link with the number 16 stamped on it, and a smaller pink wire coming out of it. It has been spliced before, but only the very end, where it attached to the starter lug. I have a fusable link from another wiring harness, but the wires are diffrent. Same size moulded part, same number 16 stamped on it, can I put this in, and will it work right? Also, do I have to put it back to the starter, all it does is pick up voltage from the lug, can I run it to the battery? It would save extra wires going past the turbo down pipe, and make putting on the starter easier.
Otherwise, the whole mess is starting to shape up. I hope to have the ol' truck running by late today, or tomorrow. Turbo is in and hooked up, wiring (aside from above problem) is dealt with, all that's left is tranny cooler lines and battery cables. Prime the oil system, prime the fuel system, and see what happens!
Thanks....
Greg

jcomp
06-11-2005, 11:17
The fusible link at the starter is one of the main power taps for the whole vehicle. I suggest relocating it while you have it apart because it will make troubleshooting an electrical problem easier. Plus it sucks to change. I ran mine back to the hot side of my glow plug solenoid. I bought a roll of fusible link wire at CarQuest (sorry, don't remember the gauge)and used 6" of it for the new link. I carry about 6 feet of it for emergency repairs. smile.gif

I also put in a remote starter solenoid so now I just have one big battery cable going down to the starter.