PDA

View Full Version : trans. temp guage question

KEVIN MUNCASTER
06-11-2005, 18:11
Anybody ever install a temp guage to monitor the 700R4 ? I bought a standard water temp unit with hopes of making it work. Where to install temp sender ?

There is a small pipe plug on the driver's side, above where the shift rod enters the case, is this too high up, anything that will cause trouble ? Maybe right through the pan ?

ZZ
06-11-2005, 19:15
I got a "T" fitting and tied into the output cooling line on mine.

opto
06-12-2005, 13:21
I did the same as ZZ but put another T on the retorn line and with a swich I can choose which one to monitor.

aloharovers
06-12-2005, 17:44
When I got my new tranny from BowTie they said to put it in the pan. Used the drain plug hole.

Pete

ZZ
06-12-2005, 19:06
I want to put mine on the pan, but I'm afraid of drilling holes & etc. I may get one of the cooling pans with the plug already in it.

Subzilla
06-13-2005, 07:27
I put my ISSPRO sensor in the pan on the driver's side toward the back. With the pan off, I could see there was nothing to interfere with the probe. It's really amazing to see the temps and what causes them to rise and fall. I figured the pan fluid is what the pump is pulling into the transmission and this would be the important place to monitor the temps. But there are other thoughts on locations including the ones mentioned above with their own merits. I do like having the gage!

mhagie
06-13-2005, 08:35
B&M makes a drain plug kit for the tranny pan it just happens to have a 1/8 pipe plug which is also the same size as most electric gauge sending units. thats what I used,also most remote oil filter kits for the tranny have a port for temp or pressure, whichever you want.
Merle

CleviteKid
06-13-2005, 09:50
The port the Northern Wrangler identified is the tap for measuring the main pressure for the tranny, and comes right off of the internal pump. This samples the hot oil pulled up out of the pan before it goes to your tranny cooler. This is a good place for the temp gage sender, and is where I put mine.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Craig M
06-13-2005, 10:01
Most pans with drain plugs have the plugs on the bottom of the pan (not the side). Many transmissions pans that I have looked at show occasional damage from hitting objects. A sending unit out of a plug on the bottom of the pan is an accident looking to happen. Hit the sending unit, loose your transmission oil.