PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the TE06H

JeepSJ
03-19-2004, 16:58
The MHI is proving to be a bit of a challenge to track down. Any of you turbo gurus out there have a cross reference to an equivalent from another mfg? I talked to a couple turbo shops and they both said that they have nothing that was similar to the TE06H.

Dezman125
03-19-2004, 22:03
Hi Jeep SJ
I'm having the same luck on the Canadain side.If you happen to come across an extra one,i'm in the market for one two.
I'm tring to get a core from some core supplyers,then i'll have something to get rebuilt. You may want to try the same around Seattle.
Glad to see to found the loophole in the rules on reregestring your jeep.
Good luck in your serch

Daan
03-20-2004, 07:18
The Holset HX35-W, a wastegated turbo.
I got mine of a Dodge Cummins 5.9.
Holset says it's suitable for engines up to 6.5L.
Mine is still waiting for installation, which will be very soon now.

You can check www.holset.com (http://www.holset.com) for more info.

Good luck turbo-hunting!

Daan

britannic
03-20-2004, 09:32
Does the flange bolt up to the stock 6.5LTD or Banks manifold? The WH1C and HX35W are good wastegated turbos which can efficiently boost to 36psi. You'll want to keep the boost below 15psi max though, since the 6.2L wasn't designed for forced induction, unless the compression ratio is lowered. The Holset turbos work really well with an intercooler.

There are various exhaust turbine housings: 12, 14 and 16cm3 wastegated, also non-wastegated housings are available. For best results on the 6.2L, I would go with a 14 or 16cm3, depending on the type of driving required.

The 12cm3 housing will give low rpm boost, similar to the GM4,GM5 and GM8 turbos, as rpms increase above 2500rpm, it will become more restrictive and EGTs will rise. On a stock Cummins 5.9L this isn't usually a problem, since the governor defuels from 2000rpm and limits the engine to 2500rpm.

My Cummins 5.9L is upgraded to rev to 3500rpm (governor upgrade and 60lb valve springs to prevent valve float) and the fuel has been increased with bigger 191 delivery valves, 300HP automotive injectors and a #10 fuel plate, so I need the 16cm3 housing to vent the exhaust and lower the temps. I'm actually going to install a PDR HX35 with the high flow expansion ATS manifold and limit boost to 36psi for best results.

grape
03-20-2004, 11:29
if you don't run enough boost with some turbos they will surge and boost will be erratic and unstable, like the cummins stuff which blows big numbers way up in the pressure ratio chart. Choose wisely!!!!!!!!!!!!

britannic
03-20-2004, 12:08
Check out Holset's website (http://www.holset.co.uk/flash/index.html) and look under their reference sheets for more info.