PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrr!! Truck broke down!!!!

arveetek
03-19-2004, 19:16
No, it's not the engine. Over 120,000 nearly trouble-free miles since rebuilt in 1996. The old 6.2L has been the most reliable engine I've ever owned.

No, it's the steering! If you recall, a couple of weeks ago I disassembled the steering gear box in order to repair a power steering fluid leak. I ended up having to remove and reinstall the worm gear to fix it.

All seemed well since then. No more leak, and the steering was tighter than ever. However, after turning a corner at an intersection tonight, the steering wheel locked up solid and wouldn't turn either direction. This locked me into a turn, so I had to pull into the center turn lane and come to a stop. There I was, in the middle of the road, unable to turn my wheel.

After wrestling the wheel back and forth a few times, I was able to get the wheels to turn a bit. I managed to pull into a nearby parking lot to see what I could do.

I could get the steering wheel to turn back and forth a few times, and then it locked up solid again. Finally, after trying to decide whether to attempt to drive to my in-laws a short distance away, or leave the truck where it was at, it decided for me. The gearbox broke, and now the steering wheel spins freely without any effect on the wheels whatsoever! Good thing I didn't attempt to drive it any further.

Talk about scary! I'm just glad this didn't happen at 70 mph. I'd have run off the road, swerved into oncoming traffic, or gotten killed!

I had no idea that a gearbox could fail like that. So much for fixing it myself, eh? Guess I'll be buying a new box tomorrow!

Anybody else ever experienced anything like that?

Casey

dieseldummy
03-20-2004, 00:42
I experienced the same thing on a 67 International farm truck. My grandpa attemped to fix the gear box, and mistakenly put the bearings in wrong, and the rest was history.

GregCrabb
03-20-2004, 01:49
Hey Casey, ironically I was thinking about you today while I was working on my air conditioner cycling switch you told me how to adjust. Glad you are ok.
Later
Greg

arveetek
03-23-2004, 14:29
I got the truck back together today. I installed a reman gear box. The pitman arm was worn out, so that needed to be replaced. Since I was going to need an alignment anyway, I went ahead and replaced all 4 tie-rods and the idler arm while I was at it. Now all steering components are new.

I have an appointment Friday morning for the alignment and 4 new tires as well. I got 60,000 miles out of these BF Goodrich tires, so I'm pleased!

The truck will be better than ever!

Casey

mirage
03-23-2004, 19:56
I had the same problem when I replaced a seal in mine. The shredding rubber from a blown tire destroyed the lower seal and I had to replace it, though mine didn't make it out of the driveway. Got an Autozone rebuild and haven't had any problems with it since :)