PDA

View Full Version : Installing Pistons

78Chev
06-16-2005, 07:12
In a couple of weeks I will be getting started on my engine rebuild. It looks like I had a failed oil control ring on #7 which washed part of the cyl. top and also caused a build up and carbon knock on the piston. (I found that the gaps of the compression and oil rings were all lined up right where the cylinder was washed. Not sure if that contributed or not.)

My crank was also ruined - thankfully I had another which was in great shape. So, new rings, bearings, wrist pin check, and a re-balance and I'm about to get it back together.

Not to leave anything to chance I'd like to hear about any tips/techniques used to install the pistons. For example how much and what kind of oil do you use to coat the rings/cylinder wall when you slide the piston into the cyl? I want to be sure I do it right so the rings seat properly.

Where do you all line up the ring gaps? My Haines book says to put the top compression ring gap toward the back of the engine; the second ring gap toward the front of the engine. It isn't clear to me where the oil ring gap(s) go. What do you guys do?

The crank measured STD but I will plastigauge each journal as I go to be sure. I'll also recheck ring gaps in the bore. (A light light hone should keep the piston-cylinder clearences within spec.)

Anything else to consider? Thanks.

Randy

Quack_Addict
06-16-2005, 08:08
I always use the same engine oil I will use in the engine when I install pistons, but I've never built a Diesel.

I clock compression rings 180* apart. For oil rings, I clock them 180* apart as well, but at 90* to the compression rings.

Get a piston ring compressor to install the pistons or you'll be swearing like a drunken sailor, wishing you would have bought one before trying without.

78Chev
06-16-2005, 08:46
Thanks - I have a ring compressor that I'll use. The oil rings come in two pieces - a sort of wire bracelet piece and a single double ring piece that fits over it. Am wondering where the joint in the wire piece goes as well as the gap of the double ring piece. 180 degrees apart and situated 90 degrees from the compression rings?