PDA

View Full Version : Tips and techniques

gmctd
03-21-2004, 08:36
If your door(s) seem harder to close and latch, could be the hinge bushings need replacing.

Could also be the plastic bushing has disintergrated and fallen off the striker stud.

Each stud requires this bushing, or collar, to absorb the shock of latching, properly locate and center the door latch upon closing, while providing anti-rattle over various road conditions.

Rather than paying 10 bucks for the cheap replacement (yeah - you know the ones I mean, where the allen socket is way off-center in the usually not-even-round head) found in most auto parts stores, I tried this trick, and found it highly workable.

40 bucks worth of workable! :cool:

Take a piece of that black plastic wire-loom tubing found in most engine-bays, cab interiors, etc - anywhere wire harnesses are needed - and cut it to fit the striker stud.

The 11/16" od by 1/2" id size, cut into six-segment lengths, will restore ease of door latching.
Being split-tubing loom, it can be slipped onto the stud, in place.

Try it - you'll like it!

You say your door hinge bushings are shot, also?

Hey, you're on your own, there, folks - that's a really big job! ;)

arveetek
03-22-2004, 07:09
Good tip!

I actually did something similar to mine several years ago. I used some of the gray poly tubing used for water lines in RV's and mobile homes. I cut it to length, slit it down the middle, and then slipped it over the striker bolts. Been working fine since.

Most of the time, the bolts don't need to be replaced. It's just the missing plastic that causes all the problems.

Casey

gmctd
03-22-2004, 09:14
I looked for somethng like that - PVC, ABS, PE, etc.

Closest I could find is the nylon tubing for the air-brakes off an 18-wheeler - just a little too small, tho.

I'm still looking for something permanent, maybe with some mild od\id machining, so I'll check your solution out, also.

Flourescent yellow polyurethane off-road shock-absorber bushings would be lovely, don't you think? ;)

tnx

arveetek
03-22-2004, 11:42
Yeah, that would look great!

While you can't buy the gray poly tubing anymore, any RV or mobile home place should have the newer, clear poly tubing that should work just fine. Flexible, yet stiff.

Casey

andyritter
03-25-2004, 23:17
I had the same problem a while back. I went to the GM dealer parts dept and bought replacement "sleeves/bushings" and installed them. Not a big deal and gives you the opportunity to adjust the post in the process.

Andy