PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 humvee take outs?

darkroad
02-03-2005, 14:28
I have noticed lately a few 6.2 humvee take out motors for sale on e-bay etc. Most are in the 10k to 40k milage range and were taken out when they upgraded to 6.5's. Years available up to 1993 models. Are the 1992 and 1993 humvee blocks the same as the desirable civilian models? Am looking for a motor for my 1990 v2500 6.2 suburban and may use one of these as a starting point.

1990 v2500 6.2 suburban

[ 02-03-2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: darkroad ]

NH2112
02-03-2005, 16:55
I'm not trying to scare you off, but don't go solely by mileage because humvees tend to be idled for extended periods of time. I don't thikn I ever saw one with much more than 40K miles on it, and they were pretty beat. As far as whether or not they're the same as civilian engines from the same years, I have no idea.

DmaxMaverick
02-03-2005, 21:08
Take the advise above and DON'T judge the engine by the miles.

In the civilian world, an average MPH is about 35. Military vehicles average around 7. This is for "highway worthy" vehicles, not others like APC's, tanks, etc. With that info, you can guess the engine has about 5 times more running time on it, and very little "highway" miles, and that would equate to over a 200K equivilant, mostly idling and slow speeds. Another thing to consider is most military vehicles don't have functioning speedo/odo's much of the time. If you are getting an engine from a known vehicle, ask for the hour meter reading (they have them) and do the math. You just might scare yourself with what you find.

BTW
Welcome the the forums!

darkroad
02-05-2005, 17:23
Thanks for the info. Thats kind of what I thought. Plus the military vehicles have all kinds of drivers driving them. From what I've seen its better to buy any used vehicle thats only been driven by a few rather than ones that have a lot of different drivers. Mostly was interested if they used the same blocks as the chevy and gmc versions. Again thanks

Phil

Peter J. Bierman
02-06-2005, 06:43
On the other hand,
There are quite some CUCV owners that had a good deal on their dieselpowered vehicles.
The same rules apply to the CUCV as it comes to miles versus hours.
Good thing with the militairy is that they have endless stock of parts and are quick to replace them.
Altough the drivers may abuse the vehicles, they are very well maintained.

And for the first question, the basic engine is the same and will fit your truck without any problem, you just have to swap manifolds and beltdriven accesories, at least most of them.

Peter

Robyn
02-08-2005, 07:09
I recently bought one of the Humvee engines off of ebay. Took it apart and checked it out and it was in very good shape. Bolted it back together with some new gaskets and swapped out the stuff on the outside that was Military only and the thing is a sweet runner.
Maybe I got lucky but I tend to agree with a previous post that the military has lot s of parts and keeps the stuff in good shape. The motor pool guys have to have something to do afterall.