PDA

View Full Version : intercooler pipe

doncannon
06-19-2005, 18:50
Hello all,
I first want to say space is limited on my 87 6.2 that I will be putting my intercooler on behind the rad. I have tried prebend exhaust pipe but the radius is too wide. I was wondering if a person could use PCV plastic pipe? It should be good for 200 degrees and I check the cool side of the turbo and it is running 118-125 on idle-mid idle respectfully. It is a little hard for me to get at speed temps going down the road with the extech thermometer gun. Any ideas?

john8662
06-19-2005, 19:05
Don,

Did I understand you right, you're installing the intercooler behind the radiator?

The traditional location for an intercooler is Before the radiator being one of the first coolers to receive airflow through it. If you install the intercooler after the radiator, you'll have yourself an interheater.

I wouldn't even think about using PVC pipe under the hood, the temperature going through the pipe won't be that extreme, but the underhood temps will over time make it brittle and it's not good for vibration.

I'd go with the exhaust pipe and silicone connections, you can also get custom bends of silicone tubing that you can use that might have a better turn than the pipe does.

At any rate, I'm interested in seeing your pics of your project of installing an intercooler, from what you're using to how it's fitting.

I'm in the thinking mode of cramming one in my '82 pickup.

doncannon
06-20-2005, 18:47
thanks john8662,
thank you I kindda figured that about pcv pipe. I am trying to find something with short bends...going to see pipe bender weds. I do not know if the intercooler is long enough to get the inlet and outlets around the rad.(oil/trans coolers first,then ac condenser, then rad, then cooler) I was thinking of a fan with more blades to help cool it. What do you think?

thank you again,
Don

john8662
06-20-2005, 19:01
What intercooler are you using? I'm keeping my eyes open for a used Dmax intercooler, it's wide enough to clear the 6.2 radiator (I think).

What I'd do as far as placement (yes, it's more fabrication) is move the intercooler just before the radiator. I need to look closely at my Friends Cummins truck, his pickup is an 86 chevy 1ton and it's intercooled. I just can't remember the exact placement of it all. Mainly concerning if the oil coolers and A/C condenser were in front of it or not.

I've got a spare front core support that I want to cut up to make an intercooler work. I know that I'll lose most of my room, and will have to use bumper mounted turn signals because the grille mounted ones will no longer fit (know this from the Cummins Conversion).

I don't think that the airflow is really the problem here, so a better cooling fan won't really help. The biggest problem is obsorbing the hot air from the radiator into the intercooler.

On edit... I've seen intercoolers sold on ebay that measure about 1' tall by 3" thick by about 30" wide that could fit down above the bumper just baraly behind the grill. Thats something that I was thinking about too. I'll post a picture of one when I find again what I was thinking about...

[ 06-20-2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

john8662
06-20-2005, 19:14
Here is something I've been toying with trying as well. They're somewhat small, but when you look at the aftermarket 6.5 intercoolers, then they look bigger :D

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/all/intercoolers/smic.jpg

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/all/intercoolers/icd.jpg

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/all/intercoolers/spearco.jpg

Peter J. Bierman
06-21-2005, 11:39
I've used two of them, one on each side. :cool:
One maybe able to put them in series???

Peter

odee
06-22-2005, 18:23
might want to look into some commerical plumbing shops you can get some good sized copper 90's and 45's to work with.

doncannon
06-24-2005, 09:52
Thank you all,
A lot of good ideas...
thank you,
don