PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 turbo?

jkivey
06-20-2005, 15:35
I picked up a '90 suburban with a blown 6.2, really cheap. I found a U.S. military humvee 6.2, purchased it, and threw it in. The thing fired right up. Next step. My boss who owns the diesel shop I work at said that I should source out a turbo setup off of a 6.5, everything would bolt on and work fine. Is this true? What about boost pressure, I'm concerned about too much, and damaging things. The set up I found need to have the turbo rebuilt, no problem I have more time than money. Any suggestiong would be greatly appreciated.

john8662
06-20-2005, 17:06
Welcome to The Diesel Page Forums!

To start answering the questions you have, I'll first address the 6.5 Turbocharger situation. The 6.5 turbo, and exhaust manifolds and associated hardware will physically bolt right onto a 6.2 engine. The problems lie in the placement of the turbo. The 6.5 Turbo engine compartment has more room for the turbocharger. The classic body style trucks that are equipped with the 6.2 will have the A/C evaporator box right in the way of where the turbo exhaust will go. So, you have the choice of No, A/C and a turbo, or no turbo and A/C. There are ways around this, but I'm not skilled in this area.

As far as boost, you can control how much boost you'll see by purchasing an external wastegate controller, which are commercially sold. This way you can control how much boost you will get on a mechanical engine, as most the 6.5's were electronically controlled.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the factory 6.5 turbo hardware isn't the best route to get a turbo under the hood. There are however aftermarket alternatives, but they're not cheap. www.bankspower.com (http://www.bankspower.com) offers a turbocharger setup specifically for the 6.2L. It's the Sidewinder turbocharger, it's around 1900 for the kit, from some venders. You can also scavenge ebay from time to time and pickup a used Banks kit for about 800 on the average.