PDA

View Full Version : sound deadening

odee
06-26-2005, 04:48
I have gotten my truck running and driveable now.I'm wanting to calm the engine noise in the interior down some. What have you guys done to quite the noise down on your gas to diesel swaps?

Jgreemo
06-27-2005, 07:08
Hi Odee, I used JC Whitney's sound dampening asphalt based sheets to cover the sheet metal (~$40/box) Followed that up with their aluminized sound/heat proofing padding and a carpet kit. Used dynamat sheets on the dash and around the speaker holes. Works great and much cheaper than dynamat alone.

You don't have to cover the entire floor with the dampening material, just enough to knock down vibration and any thrumming coming up through the floor. I used two boxes (~24 sheets) to cover the floor, especially under the front/pedal areas. Big improvement.

Best of luck.

odee
06-28-2005, 06:18
thanks, I went to the junkyard yesterday in search of the stock firewall mat. A buddies place had a olds powered deisel and a few 6.2 that were supposed to be saved so I could get a few more odds and ends like the mat. I've got two more shots at this I'm gonna try tommorow. Then I think I will try the JC Whittney parts.