PDA

View Full Version : I've been playing with a new toy!

Dieselboy
03-28-2004, 11:55
The MT480 is fully funtional and well exercised. I did a baseline on my 6.2L which showed TDC at 2000, and that was with my timing marks perfectly aligned. We were short on time, and bumped it over a little to get 0.5* BTDC at 2000. I couldn't tell a difference with the exception of EGTs being slightly lower (25*F or so) at certain speeds.

Just yesterday, I used the 20* offset and MT161 probe on my friend's Ford 7.3L IDI NA. His stock timing was 4* ATDC at 2000 while the spec is 8* BTDC at the same speed. That's a lot of advance! We went as far as 5.5* ATDC at 2000 since going further would require cracking injector lines the pump was so tough to turn.

Peter J. Bierman
03-28-2004, 12:28
Mine came in yesterday smile.gif
Have no results couse the engine is still down.
New head gaskets and bolds are here on thursday, but I am not sure what to do.
I think I pull one head and replace the gasket to have the truck running again and then take my time on porting the 6.5 heads and put them on later.
At the moment I have a lack off funds and time.
I hope that's changing soon but depents on the deal on a new house.

Anyway, have fun with your new toy :D

Peter

britannic
03-28-2004, 15:08
DieselBoy, since your engine is very similar in configuration to the one I had, you might want to experiment with the timing at 2-4* BTDC @ 1300rpm. Mine ended up at 2.6* BTDC for best results, but you may have slightly different fueling.

Originally posted by Dieselboy:
The MT480 is fully funtional and well exercised. I did a baseline on my 6.2L which showed TDC at 2000, and that was with my timing marks perfectly aligned. We were short on time, and bumped it over a little to get 0.5* BTDC at 2000. I couldn't tell a difference with the exception of EGTs being slightly lower (25*F or so) at certain speeds.

Just yesterday, I used the 20* offset and MT161 probe on my friend's Ford 7.3L IDI NA. His stock timing was 4* ATDC at 2000 while the spec is 8* BTDC at the same speed. That's a lot of advance! We went as far as 5.5* ATDC at 2000 since going further would require cracking injector lines the pump was so tough to turn.

Bobbie Martin
03-28-2004, 17:23
Is there a way to find TDC without removing a head? I installed a 1993 6.5 timing tab on my previously electronic injection engine. Its slotted so you can move it but how can you set it without knowing where TDC is? Also are there different timing tabs for 6.2 and 6.5? My Lumy Mag II came with a plastic thing to set the probe holder. But its way off to my tab - like