PDA

View Full Version : "J" code precups

Alaska Aviator
03-29-2004, 15:40
Can the precups be removed and reinstalled?

I have a "C" code head and a "J" head, is it feasible to pull the precups out and put them in the other head - and how would one remove them without destroying them?

TIA
AA

Dezman125
03-29-2004, 23:48
Hi
Removal is easy,so long as the head is off.Remove the injector's then you can tap them out the bottom side of the head through the injectoe hole. Install in reverse.
I have seen some that appered to be pined in place.These where in rebuilt heads.
If you suspect that your head or heads have been rebuilt,then look at the surface where they are flush with the bottom of the head,clean it real good and there may be a pin alongside of the precup.I would have to quess that you would do the same and repin.Havn't tried to remove these yet.
Some machien shops resurface the heads with the precups in. And some take them out and machein the seats for the precups deeper.Then you would have to match heights by either macheining the precup or machiening the hole.
My truck now has one of each type on it.
Buy the way how is the search for the TE06H going? I'm looking for one as well,if you find any extras,let me know,i think that we are almost nieghbours so getting it should easy.
Have fun

92gmc
03-30-2004, 09:39
make sure thye have the same sized valves too, some years the C and J came w different valves

Alaska Aviator
03-30-2004, 12:48
Thanks for the replies Fellers. I've got two heads, trying to figure out which way to jump.

Yukon 6.2 - no luck on a TEO6H yet - I didn't realize how scarce they were. I tried bidding on the one on Ebay that Britannic mentioned, but I never got to the reserve!