PDA

View Full Version : IP help

NH2112
07-04-2005, 13:31
I just replaced my IP, and can't get the truck to stay running. Fuel is squirting OUT of the return line fitting on top of the pump, if I leave the return line unhooked it runs but otherwise it shuts down after a few seconds. Is the solenoid supposed to be energized during normal operation, or not? (The HPCA circuit was never hooked up.) I have the top cover from my old IP on since the fuel shutoff connector was pretty corroded on the new one, and it never did this before.

britannic
07-04-2005, 14:31
Which solenoid is currently hooked up? If it shuts down, you may have the HPCA circuit hooked to the shutdown solenoid by accident - worth checking in any case.

NH2112
07-04-2005, 14:40
Fuel solenoid is hooked up (pink wire) and working properly, the HPCA wiring isn't even pulled out of the loom. To be honest, I don't even think it's present as the truck was originally a gasser and I don't know if the friend who swapped the diesel in used the complete diesel harness.

I know the return line isn't supposed to be squirting fuel out, though, and was wondering if the valve is supposed to be closed or open during normal operation. If open, I suppose I can just jumper it from the shutoff, but there must be something else wrong as I didn't have this problem before.

5.7L oldsdiesel
07-05-2005, 12:08
My oldsmobile engine has the HPCA solenoid on it,but i have'nt used it at all.If your engine runs okay with the return line on the injection pump pointed into a empty container and then stalls or won't run when you reconnect the line to the injection pump,you have a restriction on the return side.

NH2112
07-05-2005, 16:54
Talk about a stupid problem! I dropped the tank so I could check for an obstruction in the sender return pipe, and it seemed like there was dirt or something in it. So, with the tank sitting on the ground I fired it up and it ran fine. Shut her down, hoisted the tank back up and bolted it down, and it wouldn't run. Finally, after poking around in the very small space, I noticed that the tank itself was pinching the return line when it was bolted down, so using my handy hammer handle I pushed the line up to get rid of the kink, and just like magic it ran. It still idles rough but I think that could be timing, I woould have checked and adjusted tonight but some idiot left my injection detector on the last time I - er, HE - used it and the battery was dead. Of course, I forgot to get a battery when I stopped at the store, too!