PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler for 6.2 ?

coxfmly
07-10-2005, 14:42
Would it be worth the trouble to install an intercooler on a 6.2 turbo? I have come across a few intercoolers that I might be able to fab into by truck. Will their be issues due to the low boost that I am runing? My truck has the 6.2, new I.P., 6.5 injectors and a banks turbo set up.

I have talked to Banks and they said it wouldn't be worth it due to the low power and low boost.
I have felt that any cooling is worth it.
What do you think?

Thanks

mhagie
07-10-2005, 17:37
All I can add to this subject is I have a 6.5 in mine with a Banks Turbo and when I bought the engine from The Diesel Dopot Jamie told me the same thing, the Banks is too small to bother with intercooling.
Maybe If a guy found one of those Mitsibushi TE60 it might be worth it.I'd put a GM 8 on it but I am too lazy to redo the a/c box. :(
Merle

arveetek
07-11-2005, 07:09
It does depend on the amount of boost and power you're making. Compressing the air heats the air dramatically, so the higher the boost, the hotter the charged air.

My engine produces 14 to 17 lbs. of boost when pulling hard, so I believe an intercooler would be a great asset to my engine. When pulling that hard with that much boost, my water temp climbs pretty rapidy. Cooling down the compressed intake air should help cool the engine and make everything last longer, as well as perhaps increasing power a bit.

On a stock engine with a stock Banks setup that only makes 6 or 7 lbs of boost, I doubt an intercooler would be necessary or beneficial. It could even hurt, by dropping the boost even further.

Casey

A||||0||BobND||1997 - 2002 oil pump part number||||1||||BobND||00014993
07-11-2005, 18:04
Does any one have pics of an intercooler install on an older truck???????

Daan
07-12-2005, 05:26
I have some in the link in my signature...

Only Imagestation want's you to sign in to see them.... :rolleyes:

odee
07-13-2005, 04:52
Daan, what is your intercooler off of orginally? That is a very good looking setup. What are the measurements of the ic? Doesn't look like you had to do much modifing of the core support. How well does the perkins fan work? Looks like it could really move some air from the pitch of the blades.

Ratau
07-13-2005, 23:50
Daan

The last time I spoke to you just after you put the turbo on you could not give boost figures at that stage. At what rpm does boost start and at what rpm does the waste gate open? Your pictures look good. What is the air tube diameter to the IC and to the intake?

Daan
07-14-2005, 06:07
Odee,
The core is originally out of a MAN M90 truck.
I made the endtanks myself. I went through a intercooler catalog at the local radiator shop to search for a core that would fit best in front of my radiator and came up with this one.
Measurements of the core in inch: 23.4 x 16.5 x 2
The Perkins fan sucks big time ;) !! But it also makes A LOT of noise (didn't use the clutch).
So I went back to the original fan some time later.

Ratau,
Well, before I got a chance to do some good reliable testing with the engine(correct timing, enough fuel etc..), it threw a rod bearing.. :mad: !!
But the rebuild and upgraded engine should be running again within a few weeks.. hopefully..
IC tubing is 63mm or 2.5".
How is your project coming along??

Daan