PDA

View Full Version : glow plug inhibit switch

84 C2B2
07-11-2005, 16:06
Has anyone experimented with going to a higher glowplug temp inhibit switch? Maybe 135~145 degrees?

BobND
07-13-2005, 20:41
I run 60-G's, and have moved my controller to the inside of the LH fender.

I have done the "Dr. Lee mod" to increase glow time, and have ELIMINATED the glow plug inhibit switch.

Result... the 6.2 starts, warm or cold, dependably.

CleviteKid
07-15-2005, 10:54
GM also gave up on the glow plug temperature inhibit switch.

I will take credit for the idea of moving the glow plug controller (1985-1993 style) to the left hand fender, but More Power did the research to determine how to add glow time with a resistor. I just gilded the lily by using a negative-temperature-coefficient resistor (more resistance when cold, less resistance when hot) to add more glow time when cold, and add less glow time when hot. Works like a charm.

Dr. Lee :cool:

dieselbegreat
07-17-2005, 02:20
...and, briefly, the reason for moving the relay is? (I understand the temp coefficient thing, have shorted the connection to the temp switch, and have done the resistor mod with adequate results in that the plugs tend to cycle partially with each restart until the motor is good and HOT.)

mhagie
07-17-2005, 08:30
Dr Lee Would you like to expand on the glow plug resistor?, such as some details?.
Merle

BobND
07-17-2005, 09:31
Originally posted by dieselbegreat:
...and, briefly, the reason for moving the relay is? (I understand the temp coefficient thing, have shorted the connection to the temp switch, and have done the resistor mod with adequate results in that the plugs tend to cycle partially with each restart until the motor is good and HOT.) My 1994 K1500 with the 6.5 turbodiesel (which has ECM control of the glow plugs) cycles it's plugs on EVERY start, even if very warm, and always starts quick and clean.

My 1986 'burb was troublesome to start when warm (even with a NEW IP). I did the extended glow mod, and moved the controller to the cooler location, and now it acts like the computer-controlled '94.

Starts are much quicker and cleaner. No glowplug trouble yet, after almost 30,000 miles. (I just checked them a few days ago, just to be sure.)

gskurka
08-09-2005, 19:27
Where can I find a photo of the glow plug controller mounted to the fender?

Ratau
08-16-2005, 05:07
Is there additional electronics to build to use a NTCR?

Do you have the (ohm) value for the NTCR?

I suppose one use the NTCR with a timer (555) to set the glow time.