PDA

View Full Version : Upper Intake Gasket

Chris611
07-07-2005, 10:50
I have a '97 6.5L. I recently added Heath ECM and Turbo Master. I also added boost and intake temp gauges. Since the increased boost, I have noticed some oily film around the upper intake gasket and also around the intake temp fitting. Is the pressure high enought that it is pushing it past the gasket? Should I just try a new gasket or use RTV sealant on this? I peak at about 15 psi of boost.

Thanks
Chris

ucdavis
07-07-2005, 13:19
Sounds like more of an issue of how much blow-by you are processing. The crankcase gas recirc system enters upstream of the intake air temp tap. Getting enough oil to push thru the upper intake gasket sounds like there is a buncha oil pushed thru the recirc. Have you lifted the upper intake to see what your condition is inside?
15# boost should be easily contained by the gasket.

Chris611
07-07-2005, 13:26
There is a light coating of oil on the inside of the intake plentum (sp?). I replaced the "tuna can" and also did the test that was laid out on this web site that involves putting colored water in a hose and hooking it the the dipstick tube and then running the engine at 2 different speeds etc... and it passed. I guess I will just try replacing the gasket with I removed the plenum to drill and tap the hole for the water injection fitting. Can I use teflon tape on the fittings or should I use RTV?

Thanks
Chris

ucdavis
07-07-2005, 13:32
Tape should work fine. The upper housing doesn't get very hot.