PDA

View Full Version : should I buy this banks turbo kit ...?

KEVIN MUNCASTER
07-17-2005, 07:53
An aquiantance has offered a complete Banks Turbo kit from his 92 6.2 to me for $500.00 (Can). I have a 1986, and he says the seal on the turbo is bad, was sucking oil in. Is this worth repairing and what will it cost ? Where do i go to get it rebuilt ? I have a new 3" Banks exhaust already on my 86, so I amd very interested. Will my stock 700R4, which is working well, take the power from the turbo ?

All advice is appreciated.

Kev

john8662
07-17-2005, 09:47
Get some quotes on replacing the turbo seals, it's a TO4B turbo basically and getting parts to repair it shouldn't be a huge issue for a turbo shop. But by getting the quotes for repairing the turbo you'll then know what it's worth to you.

There will be some differences between the setup for the 92 6.2 kit and what was available for the 82-87 style trucks. The air cleaner housing will be totally differnent, and you may or may not be able to use the one in his kit. I haven't really looked up close on the newer setup to tell all of the differences, I just know there are some, you could always buy the right parts from Bank$.

The tranny will probably survive just fine with a turbo, I'm hoping mine will.

mpascino
07-17-2005, 11:18
You may have to do some mods to get the crossover pipe to fit in the frame, nothing a little grinding won't fix. You can get a NEW cartridge for the t40b from JH diesel for 190 bucks. The rebuild kit is like 100.