PDA

View Full Version : Knocking sound

Blzr6.2'83
07-19-2005, 15:18
I just installed a rebuilt injection pump, injectors and a new oil pump. After installing these my 6.2 began to make a knocking sound when cold, but almost goes away when it warms up. I can only hear it at higher rpm when it is warm. I thought the timing might be too advanced so I moved the line on the injection pump directly in line with the mark on the timing cover, it was about 1/16 advanced. The timing chain is original, but not that loose. Does this sound like a bad lifter? I think I will be able to post a sound file of it tommorrow.
Thanks,
Kyle

Blzr6.2'83
07-19-2005, 15:19
Also when I put in my new oil pump, it took a while of turning it over to get oil pressure. And sounded strange and ran rough when I first started it.

john8662
07-19-2005, 18:10
Looking forward to the sound byte.

I'm going to use a drill to prime the oil system on any future engine that I put an oil pump into that has a dry oil system. I'm going to start by killing an oil vacuum pump casing for the task.

Could be a lifter
Could be an injector
Could be a loose injector line (air)

How much blow-by does this engine have?

Blzr6.2'83
07-19-2005, 19:42
The blow by is not significant, but I can see smoke coming out when it is hot and idling. I don't feel any pressure when I hold my hand over the oil filler tube(I saw a post that said check for excessive blow by by doing that). I read other posts and now dread the fact that it may be a lifter. It sounds like the problem you and arveetek were having. I will take pics of the blow by at the same time I record the sound. I just hope the sound quality is good enough to distinguish between different sounds.

Blzr6.2'83
07-21-2005, 00:14
I am having trouble with the site I was going to host my sound files with, so can I email them to you.
Sorry for the inconvience,
Kyle

john8662
07-21-2005, 05:01
Sure,

awesomechevyman at yahoo.com

(kill the spaces and use appropriate at symbol)

Blzr6.2'83
07-21-2005, 15:07
Thanks,
Kyle

Blzr6.2'83
07-23-2005, 12:41
I pulled the valve cover on the passsanger side and started the car. It took a while at idle and oil started to come out of the rocker arm closer to the front of the engine at a good rate, but all the other ones only had a small amount of oil or none at all. Is this caused from bad lifters? What brand should I buy if this is the cause? I can't buy the GM ones because they are 55 a piece and the total would be over 900 with tax.