PDA

View Full Version : overheating

michael sanz
04-24-2002, 06:42
I HAVE T 2001 DUROMAX WITHE AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM. THE TEP NEVER GOES OVER 200. WHEN THE TRUCK IS AT SPEEDS OVER 80MPH IT STARTS TO OVER FLOW COOLANT. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM? WHAT COULD BE THE FIX? :confused:

mackin
04-24-2002, 20:09
Nobody responded hmmm..I couldn't resist......Why do you think your overheating@ 200 degrees..... Who's riding under the hood to tell you it's spewing A-freeze @ 80 mph? After all it's a closed system.With the exception of venting pressure........You wouldn't be YANKING OUR THERMOSTATS....Would you NEWBIE.......????????? :confused:
MAC :D :D

NutNbutGMC
04-24-2002, 20:15
^..........Mack Daddy, I be thunkin' the same thAng. H20 (a straight shot) boils at 212 deg.F. Hmmmmm....??? :D smile.gif

michael sanz
04-24-2002, 20:39
TRUST ME I HAVE NOT DONE ANY THING TO THE COOLING SYSTEM. I DRIVE THE TRUCK ALL DAY AND I KEEP MY EYE ON MY SPEED. I KEEP A CAN ON THE OVER FLOW TUBE TO COLLECT ALL THE COOLANT. IF NOT IT GETS ALL OVER THE TRUCK. IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE TRUCK GOES OVER 80 MPH.?????? :confused:

mackin
04-24-2002, 20:51
Then perhaps there is to much coolant in the reserve tank.......Check the level ...Is it above the "HOT" mark? When parked HOT.......It cannot be gaining......How many miles? Any other problems? Have you contacted dealer? Answers michael sanz answers.......We need info...How did you attach a can to what?You don't keep adding A -coolant do you?Or H2O.....
MAC :D

How can you be doing 80 in MIAMI? Watch out for those Immigrant crossers that don't speak english. You got to YIELD to pedestrians........ How is it at 78 mph........Just joking

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

michael sanz
04-24-2002, 21:00
I HAVE 22,000 MILES THE DEALER HAS PUT TWO NEW INJECTORS A NEW FUEL PUMP AND RADEATOR CAP AND HAVE NO CLUE WHY IT DOES IT. TRUST ME THE LOW COOLANT LIGHT COMES ON. I KNOW HOW TO FILL A CAR WITH A-FREZZE. I USED A WATER BOTILE ON THE OVER FLOW TUBE. AND I USE A-FREZZE :confused:

PJD15X
04-24-2002, 21:09
Somethings not right here. You are not suppossed to use just any ante-freeze. You are suppossed to use the orange stuff (?) in the Duramax.
could be, you are using the wrong one???

michael sanz
04-24-2002, 21:14
I AM USEING THE ORANGE STUFF :eek:

b.j.oneill
04-24-2002, 21:24
Is it puting pressure in the radiator or is it just blowing it out.

wizkid
04-24-2002, 22:04
I've seen leaking head gaskets cause this. I hope this isn't the case, but... If it's blowing out antifreeze, and your not overfilling it, then that's what comes to mind first. There was something to look for that would indicate this, but dang if I can remember what it is right now.
Lets hope it's something else, or the TURKEYS on the ford and dodge forums will have a h! :eek: AHHHH aluminum HEADS!! THERE ALL GONNA BLOW :eek: -- oops, Sorry.

When I had a re-occurring problem, I called GMC and politely ask them to help the dealership fix my problem. That was my 5th and last trip on that problem (the sticking AC relay). If they don't get it fixed, try that approach.

b.j.oneill
04-24-2002, 22:47
That is what I was thinking I just went through the same thing with my Dodge it was doing the same thing come to find out the head was messed up pressure check the radiator that would be the best place to start

mackin
04-25-2002, 17:13
Dealer has no clue? Let you leave with a water bottle attached to your over flow tank? All that money you paid and you excepted that response? The dealer cannot be that in competent........To let you continue to drive it and jeopardize the entire engine. Did I just jump off a turnip truck.......I'm
:confused: to say the least.......Just to many bits and pieces of info......Any smoke? What does pump and injector's have to do with OVER HEATING, and ORANGE KOOL AID WE USE FOR COOLANT? Come out with the play by play be descriptive.....Miles?When did it start? How long? How much do you use? Only at 80 mph then it's fine going slower???????????Do you truely want help?Don't want to come off sarcastic but...........
MAC :D

NutNbutGMC
04-25-2002, 17:15
^... A thermostat in the fail closed position????

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

csimo
04-25-2002, 19:54
Can you say "blown head gasket"? I knew you could.

Dealer must not be too good. The symptoms you describe are classic blown head gasket symptoms.

Go to a different dealer.... before it's too late.

mechanicwillie
04-25-2002, 20:17
sounds to me like the headgasket is gone.they had one in a dealer in calgary ab.the problem you are desribing sounds like a 6.5 when the headgaskets go.the d-max uses two thermostats and open at diff temps.are there bubbles in the reservoir at idle? take the thermostats out with the belt of fill the antifreeze to the top of the thermostat line and see which side bubbles come from if it is a gasket that will tell you.

NutNbutGMC
04-25-2002, 20:30
^... Willie, good to see ya'. Thanks for the info. You're always on the money.....

mackin
04-25-2002, 20:32
Could be but............All bet he pulls a disappearing act.........And we never find out........If it was legit more would be said........I'm learning there is so much trash talk hiding in the shadows it isn't funny any more.......Were is the guy with the PICS of the opened up motor on the D-MAX? With the guts on the fender.......Most be resolved by now....At least an update to gain some I'm no BS'ER....Where is SAMBO.....DITO........If this guy disappears with no resolve good or bad......I'm going to really have a hard time biting my tongue (key board) with the next newbie and his major problems.......I struggle with MY TRUCK SPEWS KOOL-AID AT SPEEDS OVER 80........I GOT A PLASTIC WATER BOTTLE CATCHING THE BLOW OFF..........Would anyone here do this? I wouldn't, my truck would be parked at the dealer....Come on $37,678.90 for a truck and this is your post on an D-MAX information highway...........FORGET ABOUT IT...........
MAC

I think just another info traitor.........They do this so the can say we won't admit to a defect in our trucks...........If it were legit I'D admit don't think this is it...... :rolleyes:

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

More Power
04-25-2002, 20:34
It's not a head gasket....

What may be happening is an injector cup seal is likely damaged. There is a high-temp seal where the SS steel cup passes through the head deck. If combustion pressure is making its way past this seal, it'll go directly into the cooling system.

MP

Kennedy
04-26-2002, 07:16
"I HAVE 22,000 MILES THE DEALER HAS PUT TWO NEW INJECTORS A NEW FUEL PUMP AND RADEATOR CAP AND HAVE NO CLUE WHY IT DOES IT."

To add to MP's comments: Just having two of the injectors out may shine a light on the possible "point of entry" of combustion gasses...

Were these two injectors replaced prior to this problem, and if so, why?

hoot
04-26-2002, 07:28
More Power and JK,

Sounds like you guys are onto something here. The coincidence of the injector replacement is too obvious.

michael sanz,

Sounds like your service dept. may need some enlightenment on installing injectors. You already said the coolant temp is not getting too hot so it's not an overheating problem.

mackin,

We don't want to scare off guys with real issues.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Blacktruck-1
04-26-2002, 08:10
Mechanicwillie--The water pumps gear driven---Better recommend a face shield too! ;)

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Blacktruck-1 ]</p>

More Power
04-26-2002, 12:08
The Duramax 6600 will begin its 3rd model year in just a few short months. In all this time, I have yet to hear of a (confirmed) aluminum cylinder head or head gasket failure.

However, I do know of a few injector cup seal problems. I saw one once...... In this instance, the seal was damaged (nicked) during assembly. The entire cylinder head was replaced because of the difficulty in determining which injector cup seal was at fault.

MP

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>