PDA

View Full Version : AND YOU THOUGHT CHANGING YOUR OIL WAS A MESS

mackin
04-24-2002, 20:40
After reading all the posts on the Allison deep pan and Synthetic change over ........Ordered up the parts and ventured out tonight to do it.......What a friggen mess..BLOOD EVERY WHERE...... First you drain the pan..Smooth deal...Gonna be easy. Next the Tranny spin on. Piece of cake been there done it..This is gonna be easy. Now the pan...Not to bad until it is completely off..DRIP, DRIP, DRIP........Now the filter pick up screen..Yank that off and LOOK OUT..GUSH OF BLOOD LIKE A STUCK PIG.......HMMMMMM. Clean up start asembly ....EASY..... Now it time to FLUSH ... Who's friggen big idea was this? Get the clip out easy...Yank on line .... GUSH here we go again...DAM.....Quickly as possible get the 5/8 line attached and other end into an empty AMSOIL 2.5 gallon oil container. Hose a little long it at the bottom of container.......OK...Clean up again......Get my daughter out to help.......Have her watch the bucket to tell me when it's half full or better .......Works like a charm..Tell her thanks off she goes......Now Crawl under remove hose from line push out of the way......My attention is getting that stupid little clip just in the right spot to go back in when..........ALL OF A SUDDEN I FELL WETNESS.......THE F'IN HOSE IN THE AMSOIL CONTAINER IS SIGHPHONING ALL OF THE TRANNY FLUID OUT OF CONTAINER ..NOW THERE Is A RIVER OF BLOOD COMING RIGHT AT ME....AAAAAAGGGGGGG ...I QUIT............WHAT A CLEAN UP...GOT TO GET THE PRESSURE WASHER OUT NOW.......
ALL done tranny shifts fine .......Was it worth it? YUP..... Not the mess .....Got some PICS not up yet. I'm tired.....Wanted more but batteries went dead AND i was to WET to take them........
MAC :D :D
PS GOT MY GUAGES DONE TOO......That's TOMORROW'S TOPIC.......GOT THEM DONE AT JEANNETY RACING NICE JOB, BUT I GOT A STORY TO TELL YOU>>>>GENTS
GOT PICS ,NOT UP, STILL "WET AND TIRED.......
MAC :D :D

SoCalDMAX
04-24-2002, 23:18
BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm sorry MAC, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at how well you described EXACTLY what I did last Sunday!

The pickup got me too, I moved fast and instead of in my eyes, it only splashed the side of my head and got my hair and shirt soaked.

No matter how hard we try, unless we have a huge garage with a lift and big tranny drain pan, it's always gonna lead to a mess...

I vote we let Mdrag do all the Allison deep pan installs from now on! We can bring the beer and drink/watch/coach as he expertly and cleanly installs it for us! ;)

Regards, Steve

stretch
04-25-2002, 03:57
Hey Mackin,
Now that you're experienced, I'm sure the second time will go MUCH SMOOTHER, I'll come up one weekend with a case of beer and you can show me how a pro does the deep pan install, You are a pro now - RIGHT !!! ;) tongue.gif :D

sonofagun
04-25-2002, 09:16
MAC,

AAARRRGGGUUUUHHHHHH!!!!

I do agree with Stretch --- with your newly found experience you could hire out. I might even make a trip your way if the price is right!!!

Good humored story, thanks,

Bob

ndamico
04-25-2002, 10:46
Yes i Agree! I installed my tranny pan last Friday night...cept i used by buddies lift at his shop..the only thing i wans't prepared for was the filter pickup squirting blood all over me as well...changed the rear end juice too...

fun fun fun with the Dmax!

01_Duramax_Dually
04-25-2002, 14:33
Mackin....
OHHHH Yeah.....I forgot to put in my install directions the bit about pulling out the filter pick up and the subsequent rush of fluid. However I had a tranny pan and having pulled alot of T- 400's I kind of knew what to expect......OOOOOPS.

As for the line flushing deal...you are on your own. I opted not to do this but follow Allison recommendation for the Synthetic/standard mix and change it next time...I just felt it was going to be a mess(which appears you have proven).

Well look at this way...it is done, you have gained experience as a master Allison Jedi...You will get to inform your pupils should they embark on such a change...LOL

Drive on...Drive on....

Jeff

mark45678
04-25-2002, 15:45
HEY MACKIN it would be worth my time to drive to ct and pay to see this side show that you did live !!!wanta do my trans next????? :eek:

mackin
04-25-2002, 17:29
YUP,
Now you know what to expect........I would do it again for sure........With out all the good info received here I wouldn't have been successful, It really is easy, but messy to say the least.......There is a slight difference in shift feel, but I was looking at longevity and min. wear with syn.What fun is it if you don't learn anything along the way........Everyone from here on knows put a big bag of speedy dry on your shopping list before you start.......SPLISH SPLASH I WAS TAKING A BATH ...IN TRANNY FLUID...........LOL
MAC
PICS ARE UP............
:D :D :D

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>