PDA

View Full Version : How to make a 3/4 ton ride like a Rolls?

Cloudpeak
06-20-2005, 14:58
Well, not a Rolls. How about a 1/2 ton Suburban?

My best friend back in Nebraska just traded for a new GMC 3500 Duramax 4x4 pickup. He traded his 2004 Suburban that had a 5.3 engine. After towing a light trailer to Lincoln he was so upset with the no-power of the Sub that he traded for the pickup when he got home.

He's only had the truck a few days but is not satisfied with the ride. Just too rough. I would have told him a 3/4 ton truck would not ride as good as his Sub but he never asked me. I just got back from a visit and he DID ask me if I knew of any mod he might do to make the truck drive smoother.

He pulls medium weight trailers on occasions. Nothing real heavy. He hauls some seed corn in the box. He didn't really need weight hauling capacity. He needed engine pulling power. I imagine he would have been better off with a Sub with the 8.0 (Duramax in a Sub would be ideal).

The only ideas I could come up with was to replace the factory shocks with Bilsteins, possibly remove a couple of the leaf springs and install something like the Firestone airbags and put in an "air ride" seat if they make such a thing for the GM trucks. Right now, he has 8 or 10 sand tubes in the bed and has new Michlin tires aired to 32 lbs.

I rode in the truck. Great truck! (I say that even though I have a Dodge CTD). The Allison is great! I didn't think the truck rode hard at all but I am used to the Dodge, after all smile.gif He's used to the Suburban.

So, if you fellas have any ideas I could pass on to my friend on making his truck "ride like a Rolls", I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Cloudpeak

mark45678
06-20-2005, 16:56
the best cure is a full air ride rear spring replacement..... I think more ride sell a kit for that truck , anyone with more info feel free to corect me!

SHOPMAN426
06-20-2005, 18:16
Check out "Road Tamer" by Air Lift. Looks to be a total rear suspension replacement. Camping World has them on sale for just under $2000.00

Shopman426.
Mike. :cool:

jbplock
06-21-2005, 02:06
Moved to the 2500HD/3500 Accessories forum...

smile.gif