PDA

View Full Version : How many have put an exhaust system on their Dmax?

Tader Jack
04-25-2002, 18:18
How many of you have put an aftermarket exhaust system on? Which one? Would you do it again? Noise factor at cruising speeds?

I'm going to do it, just not sure which one.

I've done this pipe routine several times with gassers. Some worked out others did not. Some were very loud, others were ok. My last dual exhaust, full custom stainless setup was very, very loud. At times I loved it, but then I also hated it. I don't mind a little noise when the hammer is down, but I don't want it at cruising speeds on the highway.

I'd appreciate your input.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

Pipe – Pipe – Pipe – I need a Pipe . . . Whose should it be?

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor •
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
------------------------------------------------

GM Smitty
04-25-2002, 18:49
I have the Banks system on my DMax. I'm very happy with it. Installation was simple and straightforward.
At first, the resonance bothered me (I bought a quiet truck for a reason). It only occurs between 1600-1800 RPM, and it seems the DMax spends alot of time in that RPM range while in town.
On the highway (anything above 60), I don't notice it at all.
Now I'm not sure if I'm used to it, or if it got a bit quieter, but I don't even think about the exhaust anymore.
I did feel a slight power increase, although I doubt it's anywhere near the advertised 30HP. I feel it most while towing.
Hope this info helps in your decision making process.

midwestdmax29
04-25-2002, 19:45
Jack- I've got the Kennedy setup and I'm really happy with it. It has a good throaty rumble under a load or accelerating, and the only minor resonation occurs between 60-65 mph. I wouldn't say it is annoying at all, and I've never had anyone give me a negative look. Easy install in less than an hour by yourself.

stillracing
04-25-2002, 19:55
I would advise you to get the 4" exhaust for lower EGT's. If you plan to add performance upgrades I think you would handicap the money you have spent on upgrades.

As for the tone I have both the Flowmaster and Allied mufflers. The Flowmaster was installed after the stock muffler was cut out. It sounded fine but was still restrictive to exhaust flow. Now the Allied is installed on the 4" system. It sounds quiter to me, I think there is less turbulance/pressure in the entire system.

Tader Jack
04-26-2002, 11:15
Does anyone out there have feedback on a Dynomax or Magnaflow system?

The Gale Banks and Kennedy systems seem to be the most popular of those in this forum.

Alli-max
04-26-2002, 12:35
Honestly, a true mandrel bent 4" turbo back exhaust is almost like buying sugar a the grocery store. We arent talking about carbs or camshafts, where their can be a big difference. It is free flowing exhaust, and that is about it.

John Kennedy has a Duramax, so you can be sure he spent time on the design. Matter of fact, I was the first setup with ext. cab Longbed, and it fit perfectly.

What does Gale Banks post about on here? The others? JK helps EVERYBODY out on here, and has probably helped you out once or twice. No reason to throw knives in his back. Obviously, in a free country you can spend your money how YOU want.

But something this simple? Choice should already be made.

As for the sound of the JK exhaust.... it will get slightly quiter as it soots up. I too rarely notice it unless I pull up to a redlight next to a PSD or a CTD.. :D :D

SledZep
04-26-2002, 18:24
Midwest...
I have been thinking of going the Kennedy way but I thought there would be welding and such after it arrived and didn't want to screw uo his good system with what might be a bad local welder.
Allimax & others, are any of you running a straight pipe without a muffler. I believe I read here that a turbo diesel doesn't really benefit from any back pressure like a gasser does.
Any enlightenment would be great.

Thanks to all

SledZep

midwestdmax29
04-26-2002, 18:39
SledZep- Band clamps are used at the joints, I think my wife could have put it on.

Mic
04-26-2002, 19:34
SledZep

I have 3.5" mandrel bent section in place of the 'muffler' with a 5" polished chrome tip.

I like it. it CAN be notice around 1800 rpm, but unless you're on it, then not.

I have even been known to get on it around the local sheriff with no problems, after all it IS a diesel (they suppose to be loud, noisey, smelly, etc.....)

mackin
04-27-2002, 05:15
Alli-max,

EASY there big fella EASY..........I never play with KNIVES anyway.......In the exhaust WARS spend your "DEAD PRESIDENT'S and BENNEY'S" where you feel you'll get the BEST VALUE and QUALITY.......Anyway, I'm leaning to the ATS going to go hear one soon, found a guy near me that got one on a D-MAX......WO....HOO ,ROAD TRIP...... :D :D :D
MAC
Gale Banks may not post here, but the make one hell of a nice exhaust...PRICEY, but QUALITY cost.....Ever seen one up close and personal? I did this week...."NICE"..... If I do not like the sound on the ATS I'll go BANKS...

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
04-27-2002, 05:34
I have the Dynomax system # 19375 with the down pipe # 54194 and I was a huge improvement in performance. I will say it is much louder now, but I like it that way.

I use the truck for work and run about 1000 miles a week. So far I am not annoyed with the sound.

Mike

SledZep
04-27-2002, 19:19
Anyone with any ideas on what cutting out my muffler and replace it with a mandrel bent pipe would cost? Approx is close enough, I have never had this type of work done so I do not want to pay too much.

Thanks
SledZep

DSLPOWR
04-27-2002, 19:38
SledZep- I stright piped my HD back in september and it cost me $60, thats it. And the shop used the same quality/thickness pipe as what came stock on the truck. For that price you can't really go wrong, if you feel it's good enough- great. But if it does not suit you your only out $60 and not $500 to $900 for a complete system.

bobgj
04-27-2002, 20:59
JUST INSTALLED BANKS ON AN '01...BETTER MPG SO FAR...MORE NOISE IN CAB BETWEEN 1400 & 1700 RPM. DONT LIKE THIS NOISE..MAYBE I CAN GET USED TO IT.

SledZep
04-28-2002, 06:17
Thanks DSLPOWER those were the type of words I was looking for.
As for the extra noise some have mentioned
1) I dought it's louder than the Zeppelin already is...
2) (Sacrilige here) if it adds more of a regular V8 sound and takes away some of the Diesel sound would be OK too. 7K+ miles and once and a while I subconciencly (is that a word?) feel myself slowing to take it easy on my loose valved sounding motor... Of course as soon as I remeber that it is supposed to sound that way I stomp on the Go pedal and let her rip!

SledZep

TURBOJOE
04-28-2002, 08:48
I put a Banks exhaust on my D-MAX and love it! Install was simple, about 1.5 hrs. in my driveway. I think the sound is perfect, nice and throaty, but not much louder than stock. I would agree with the resonance but it doesn't bother me. Power increase I would say yes to 25-30 HP. My truck spools very fast now. I just beat my friends -01 2500 Suburban with a 6.0 and 4.10 gears. If I punch my truck at 45 or so look out, it's a beast! If I spool it up at the line, she really takes off!

Tader Jack
04-29-2002, 08:58
I want to thank everyone for their comments, except alli-max. I've purchased many exhaust systems for different vehicles over the years. I like to make sure I'm spending my $700 in the right place and take time to make a decision. The choice may be simple for you, but I like to keep and open mind to all the options that are available out there and new ones coming out every day.

John Kennedy does post here, but for you to think that we "owe" him something because he does is certainly incorrect. In fact, posts like yours do a disservice to John. With friends like you helping him, he doesn't need enemies. In fact, I've "helped" John by purchasing products from him. I like talking to John on occasion, but my calls were always regarding purchases of his products. For you to insinuate that we should buy from John because of his posts here is ludicrous.

A far as throwing knives, I believe you are the only one doing that here. For you to slam others that you haven't even had a chance to try out is a disservice to all in this forum. No need to get on the muscle here is there? I'm only asking for comments to be able to make an informed decision.

p.s. -- Over the years I can think of a few bad exhaust systems that I installed on vehicles because of my lack of prior research. The last system on a '97 Tahoe was aluminized steel and only lasted 2 years before it had to be replaced with a full stainless setup. We get lots and lots of salt on the roads here in Pennsylvania, unlike some areas of the country. I'm very cautious as to what will last in these conditions.

Have a nice day . . .

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

Pipe – Pipe – Pipe – I need a Pipe . . . Whose should it be?

Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Tader Jack ]</p>

mackin
04-29-2002, 14:04
Tader Jack,

Good point.....I was wandering if John K. was incorporated and went PUBLIC with his Stock.....And Alli-max did some inside trading and Gobbled up the 49% that was available...........
:D :D

MAC

sonofagun
04-29-2002, 14:41
Geez guys, what is this ?????????????

Liar, Liar pants on fire or what??

Give the nasties a brake and stick to the DMAX issues. We all like that better. It is what makes this such a great site.

My 2c.

Bob

Tader Jack
04-30-2002, 08:18
Hey Bob --

Your point is well taken.

gardnerteam
04-30-2002, 08:48
I'm more curious about mpg increases with larger exhaust. To those of you who have upgraded with either muffler changes, 4 or 5 inch system changes, what are you finding out about increased mpg? What system is giving you the best increases? What system appears to give both great mpg increases, shorter spool up time, and manages to stay quiet?

Bocephus3
04-30-2002, 11:02
Hey if you guys are looking for an aftermarket system check out www.sourceautomotive.biz Rip has a great setup and a real fair price.

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Bocephus3 ]</p>

Texasoilman44
04-30-2002, 11:10
SledZep

I recently installed JK's exhaust system on my crew cab long bed, and no welding was required. Fit up was great. John even told me to call him when I recieved the system and he would walk me through it all before I started. I called him and sure enough, he talked me through it. I don't think it was necessary, but it has been my experience with John that he really wants his customers (us) to be satisfied.

Regards,

Kevin

sonofagun
04-30-2002, 13:42
After having read about a zillion posts on this topic (ok, so it's 20 or 30) I think the real gain to a 4" exhaust is going to be lower EGRs when you are towing.

It seems the downpipe from the turbo (which isn't being replaced by the aftermarket systems) is the major bottle neck to big gains in HP and torque. You've got to open the entire system to really up the juice. That said a less restrictive system elsewhere is going to lower EGRs and give some modest hp and torque gains. If you tow, like I do, and in a WARM place, like Texas, getting the EGRs lower has got to be engine friendly. I would like to keep this truck a long time, a 4" should help.

I would expect to be disappointed if I was looking for big HP or MPG gains from an exhaust system for my DMAX unless I did some other major changes to the system (propane, computer systems, etc.).

These trucks aren't the old chevys of years past with their 1 3/4 inch exhaust systems.
I would think that any well made 4" system will get you about the same benefit. SS is good if you live in the rust belt. It carries a premium that isn't necessary in non salt areas because the system doesn't run hot like a gasser does and should last a LONG time in regular aluminized steel.

If you want a eye popping SS exhaust system take a look a bbexhaust.com. Billy Boat is a major factor in auto racing and has been building high end exhaust sytems for a long time. The use T-304 SS which is WAY better than the 409 stuff that the factory and Banks offer. Their stuff is all mandrel bent, tig hand welded. They build their own mufflers designed for each application. All end plates are stress relieved. Get your checkbooks out and send the $895 for a DMAX CC short bed system. Each system is built to order. The tip and muffler are polished. Takes 10 - 12 days to get it shipped. They expect 8-10 HP and 16-17 LBs of Torque. That IS an honest answer and probably what you really get. Don't work for them but have met Billy, he's a good guy. All that said,you won't get much, if any, better performance than from Banks for less and John Kennedy for a lot less.

My 2c

Bob

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

gun runner
04-30-2002, 14:01
Kennedys system was easy to install and sounds a little louder than stock at cruise; and doesn't shout too load under WOT.

Gas milage has appeared to increase about 1 mpg.

SledZep
05-01-2002, 08:02
Man!, I have got to stay off this board. I was kind of gone for a while when I got laid off Because all plans come to a hault. I still loved my truck and was very satisfied. Now I am reading almost daily again, but still unemployed! But now I have decided I definately need a 4" exhaust and the Amsoil dual stage filter just so that I can decide which chip I need! All this to drive my 2 sons around and during the winter tow a trailer that weighs arond one ton soaking wet....

SledZep

ndamico
05-01-2002, 10:37
Hi,

just wanted to throw in my .02's worth regarding B&B exhaust. They seem to make very well-built products, but i would never buy from them again. I purchased their exhaust for my 2001 BMW, and did before and after-install dyno runs. Prior to purcahsing it, B&B told me that if the exhaust didn't make any power they would take it back, "no questions asked". I made the call because i had to cut my stock exhaust off, and wanted to be extra-sure that there would be a hp benefit. they assured me once again that there would be. needless to say the exhaust produced abou 1-2 HP Less than stock, and had a horrible resonation between 1600-2400RPM. B&B was not willing to take the product back because it, "didn't meat my expectations". They were quite rude, wanted a 20% restocking fee, and told me the Mustang Dyno I am using was broken, and not capable of measuring HP accurately!

While they seem to make good products for Porsche's, (I've seen some nice 993 exhaust that worked well) thier customer service has something to be desired, which is very unfortunate.

I've read so many good customer service stoires about other exhaust manufacturer's that i would think twice before buying a product from a company who won't stand behind their products. Please understand this is only my opinion, and take it for what you will.

Now I'm off the soap box. Thanks again for everyone's input. Doing research and sharing experiences really makes a difference in the long run.

sonofagun
05-02-2002, 10:08
Good input nd,

Billy will be interested in it too. I've never bot
from them, with your input I too would think twice. My point was mostly that high end exhaust isn't gona give any lift so why pay the price (save for the salt issue)?

Bob

ndamico
05-02-2002, 12:38
son of a gun,

i agree with you 100%

stretch
05-03-2002, 15:07
I had a B&B on a BMW 535 I owned and I loved it !! I have to agree that it may not improve the hp much or at all. I feel it helped but gains were moderate and I cannot document it. I used their system because of the quality workmanship and superior materials. My oem exhaust rotted away and the B&B was a great alternative for me. It sounded great in my opinion (wife said it was loud) and fit and finish was nothing short of perfect. Since I had no complaint, I never had to deal with their customer service dept., thus no comment. I was fortunate recently to acquire a B&B for my D/A from a friend that did not like it -once again- his wife thought it was loud easier to appease than argue I guess :rolleyes: I had to modify to fit my application EC w/ shortbed vs CC/shortbed. Once again, it feels slightly more spunky, definetly has a throaty rumble and as before quality is unparalled. They certainly are pricey (luckily not for me) but you can see why. To sum up my ramblings, if you want proven results (power) I'd talk to Kennedy for his system, if you want a fancy stainless setup, B&B. :cool:

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: stretch ]</p>

Tader Jack
05-07-2002, 09:55
Hey stretch --

That BB setup sure looks nice. I've talked to some guys who think they build the best looking setups out there, bar none.

One thing, it is all 304 stainless, not 409. Even for what BB is asking, it's probably a pretty good price for a total 304 stainless system. Most of those are over $1K.

In your opinion, how much louder is it over the stock setup?

stretch
05-08-2002, 04:00
Jack,
I would say its considerably louder. You will always hear the exhaust. Its not really intrusive, you can still maintain normal levels of conversation at any speed, low volume levels on the radio, but the sound is always there. It kind of sounds like a big block gasser, a nice low rumble. :cool:

Tader Jack
05-16-2002, 15:45
Made the call today and ordered the Banks 4" exhaust system.

Sounds like they will have some other nice things to offer to improve our Duramax performance in the very near future. I'm going to wait to see what they come up with before I make a decision on any type of black box.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

Coming soon . . . Banks Power 4” Stainless Monster Exhaust . . . on order right now.

Tractorhauler
05-16-2002, 17:34
Jack,

I have had the Banks 4" now for a few months and over 6K, including a long haul. I love the system and I would recomend it or any other 4" for that matter. IMHO I would go to a better air breather once you go to the 4" exhaust.

Mark smile.gif

Tader Jack
05-16-2002, 18:42
Hey Mark --

Better air breather? What exactly do you mean? I'm running an Amsoil setup right now, but am open to suggestions. I took my K&N off a while back and the Amsoil will probably stay on for a long time since it's "so tight" it may never fit in again if I take it out. (Pay attention Amsoil)

I'm passing on all the performances boxes right now until there is some true difinitive results, rather than just beta tests and seat of the pants bs hype from so many. Very little true measureable results, except for a very few here who have dynoed and/or run test results before and after.

Sounds like there will be a true turbo downpipe from Banks in the near future along with their own performance box. I'll wait. I didn't think much of the early boxes that so many have jumped on. I'd rather have 60-75 hp to use every day than 100 that "may" cause some harm down the road.

Kennedy
05-18-2002, 10:19
At this point, I see no need for any air box mods other than the Almsoil filter. This is all I ran to the tune of 376+ RWHP, and that was with 11k since installed new and no washes. Filter minder did not suck in either.

The one thing I may consider is a baffling system to keep the underhod air from getting in, but this seems to be a relatively minor issue.