PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!! Fumoto valve opened!!!

huntindog
04-26-2002, 16:10
My Fumoto valve opened part way. I think it snagged on some brush. I was in line at a dump station with the motor running when a couple of guys walked up and told me that I was leaking oil. I shut it off and looked underneath and saw the valve part way open! I closed it and checked the oil, it wasn't showing on the dipstick. I went into the gas station and got a gallon. It took a little over a quart. WHEW!!
I have used the valves for years on several vehicles without this happening.
I remember a while back a lot of discussion here about this possibilty. At the time I wasn't concerned about it.
Someone had capped the nipple on the valve somehow, as a precaution. They even had pictures posted. I can't seem to find these posts anywhere.
Can anyone help with info on what the fix was? What size cap, etc. TIA

hjd3021
04-26-2002, 17:05
Just put a small nylon tiewrap on the valve so tha t the handle cannot move out of the detent postion. Then when you want to open the valve just snip off the tie. I don't see anyway to have the valve open then unless something also breaks the tie and pulls open the valve lever.

JLee
04-26-2002, 18:49
The post is over in the 2500/3500 Truck & Drivetrain area. The date was around 2-8-02.
http//forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi.bin/ultimatebb/cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002661&p=

The pic doesn't come up anymore, but you might e:mail the poster for a copy. I have a hardcopy somewhere I could FAX to you next week if you like. I might have the pic file at work?

jimandkarla@hotmail.com

Jim

NutNbutGMC
04-26-2002, 19:36
^...I say it's your own fault... You shouldn't allow those d@mn hunting dogs to sniff around up under your truck, looking for a racoon or a rabbit. :D :D

Great story line though. :D

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

slapshot44
04-26-2002, 20:53
I put a small hose-clamp on mine. Put it over the barrel of the valve (not the nipple) and push it right up against the lever so the lever can't be lifted up to clear the detent that keeps it from rotating. It's easy to remove when you change your oil.

huntindog
04-26-2002, 21:03
JLee, Thanks, thats the info I was looking for.
hjd3021,I thought about a zip tie, but I wanted something a little more reliable. I've had several zip ties fail in other applications.(might be an arizona heat thing. plastic doesn't last here.)
NutNbutGMC,That dog better not be looking for a coon or rabbit, as it's a bird dog!
slapshot44, That's a good idea. I might just do both as I'm a little paranoid right now!!
Everyone Thank you for your ideas!!
Much appreciated!!

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: huntindog ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
04-26-2002, 21:57
^...LMAO.... ROTFLMFAO...... :D :D :D

BobW
04-26-2002, 23:21
I'm not sure where the original post is, but as I recall the nipple was threaded and a pipe cap was then screwed onto the nipple.

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2002, 04:00
huntindog

The zip tie works for me. Didn't have any problems here all summer, and the summer temps here are about the same as what you live in. I understand what you mean about heat and plastic, but if you change your oil regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. I thought about tapping the nipple and screwing in a plug, and may some day, but for now, the zip tie works.

There must be something wrong with my birddogs (Labs). They'd rather chase rabbits. Coons around here are too big, so no problems there (learned their lesson the hard way).

White Knight
04-27-2002, 05:35
The previous post said he used a 1/8 NPT die to thread the Fumoto valve hose extention. No prior machining required. He then installed a 1/8 inch pipe nipple. Sounded simple.

NutNbutGMC
04-27-2002, 06:29
I have the thread link on my other idiot box, located in another state. Be back there tomorrow.

Calgary
04-27-2002, 09:42
Huntindog - do you have a skidplate on your truck?

huntindog
04-27-2002, 15:11
Calgary, I have the factory skid plates.
Cheers!

Bmacs
04-28-2002, 09:07
Huntindog,

I posted the pics for the modified valve on my new picturetrail account (my web page is presently busted :( )

I used a standard 1/8" NPT threader and a 1/8" NPT cap (from the local hardware store). I've been in LOTS of ugly places recently (the trucks a MESS to prove it) and the valve has been SOLID.

This link should answer all your questions;
http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002661

Hope this helps you out!

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Bmacs ]</p>

BlackMax
04-28-2002, 09:33
The ty-raps you buy at Home Depot and places like that are all plastic. If you go to an electrical supply house and get T&B ty-raps they have a metal insert that is the latch. They will not pull apart.

huntindog
04-28-2002, 15:39
Bmacs, and everyone else. The nipple has been threaded and the cap installed. IT cost 6.00 including the die. It was very easy to do even on the truck. I'm very happy with the finished job. Thanks to everyone for your responses!
Cheers!

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: huntindog ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
04-28-2002, 15:52
^... Even so, keep that dang dog out from under your truck. :D

I still say, the bit about brush was a good story, but I know in my heart it was the dog snooping around. smile.gif

huntindog
04-28-2002, 16:56
I now have to keep my wrenches locked up. I just caught my dog with a 9/16" in her mouth..... headed for my truck!!!

NutNbutGMC
04-28-2002, 17:05
^......Told ya' so... :D :D :D

D MAXIMUS
04-28-2002, 19:36
I added an Ideal screw-type hose clamp to my valve. I fits perfectly and should stay tight. It probably wouldn't hurt to put a little duct tape on the valve to give the clamp something to bite into.

John

Texasoilman44
04-29-2002, 04:57
I drilled a small hole in the valve handle, then used aircraft safety wire to tie it back so that it cannot come open (trick I learned from roadracing motorcycles). Also, as an added precaution, I clamped a rubber cap over the nipple. If I lose oil now, it would have to be really dumb luck.

Regards,

Kevin

Heartbeat Hauler
05-06-2002, 11:33
Anybody seen FRAM's drain valve solution? Looks like you add a threaded nipple that has a cap. When you change the oil you unscrew the cap and screw on a hose (included) and it drains. Problem is the commercial shows the guy flippin' his Camaro over on it's top then attaching the hose then flippin' it back over. I don't think I'm big enough to flip my dually... ;) Anyway, I guess some oil would spill out if you didn't actually flip the vehicle over. Anyone use it yet?