PDA

View Full Version : Programmers & Puters....

More Power
06-24-2005, 18:14
OK, I created a problem, but it turned out just fine in the end. So, I thought I'd post what I did and how it was resolved in case anyone else might be confronted with the same situation.....

I finally got a set of 265's installed on my '01, so I dug out my faithful Predator to recalibrate the speedo. Have done this many times on Lil Red.... What could go wrong?

We'll I began the process without first warming up the engine. So, in my haste, I began uploading the tire corrections before the glow plugs and intake heater had completed their cycles.....

The changing voltage levels caused a failure in the upload, which made the fuel gauge inop (read empty) and it set a high fuel temperature DTC. :( Subsequent attempts with the Predator also failed.

Fearing the worst, I visited a local dealership, explained to the tech what I'd done, and said I'd like try a GM reprogram before springing for a new ECM. Long story short, the Tech II upload solved the problem - dodged a bullet on that one. smile.gif

The lesson here is to always bring the engine up to operating temp before using an aftermarket programmer/tuner.

MP

Kennedy
06-27-2005, 05:29
Did you try returning the truck to stock with the Predator? Curious if that would have fixed it...

More Power
06-27-2005, 07:10
Yes, we tried several iterations (including a return to stock) to get it to work. Once the problem developed in the ECM, the Predator always came back with an error in the upload.

MP

Jim Brzozowski
06-27-2005, 08:36
MP, you are very lucky to have that kind of dealer near by.

madmatt
06-27-2005, 15:48
I fired an ECM on a 03 w/ a bully doq programmer by not pulling the specified fuse before programming. On other occasions I got a BCM on a Caddy the same way (forgeting to pull a fuse) and a PCM on a 05' Equniox while charging the battery and programming at the same time.

More Power
06-27-2005, 20:37
I'm surprised we don't hear of this problem more often... All of the vehicle accessories (radio, heater/AC, etc) should be shut off, the doors should be closed, seat belt fastened, as well as engine warmed up.

The dealer tech cautioned another mechanic who came up to the truck during the Tech II upload to not open the door.

On another note, I've used a Predator on Lil Red about a dozen times to alter various things, and haven't had a single issue.

SoTx, Yes the dealer tech is a one of the good ones. He's a hot-rodder, and owns a roadster among others, as well as likes working on the diesels.

MP