PDA

View Full Version : 3 dealers - NO injector problems

Captain Mal
06-04-2003, 18:02
I have had multiple injector failures, as so many of those on this site have also reported. I just came back from meeting with 3 different dealers. One, Kalmar Motors and Mike Oritz, the service manager, summed up the experience of all three. Noone has ever replaced an injector at their dealerships. That's like in the word 'none'.

This has shocked me as I thought it was a serious, widespread problem. I went to these dealers for advice and to get some kind of communication with GM Technical Assistance. That can only be done by dealers and, preferrably, someone who has experience with the problem. I have not been able to establish any communication through these dealers with GM Technical Assistance.

Oh, don't waste your time with GM Customer relations. After many contacts, one rep. requested that I find out what kind of addatives Pennsylvania uses in their GASOLINE.

The best you will get from them is a letter of sorrow for the problem and an invitation to call if they can be of further assistance.

Most jokes are made but some are born.

Nixter
06-04-2003, 19:43
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Captain Mal, GM and other big companies can be a PITA to work with sometimes. The key is to find a few high quality people in their organization. I was recently talking to the head D-max tech at the dealership that I use for service. This dealership has been selling them by the trainload for the last couple of years. He said that he had seen exactly three so far and not to worry before 200k miles. I asked him about the build dates and he couldn't recall except that they might have all been 2001s. His general attitude was that these motors have been exceptional in reliability and that I should rest easy. This is of course little comfort to those unfortunate folks who have had problems and it seems in this case that when it rains it pours. --Nick

Kennedy
06-04-2003, 20:13
I wouldn't classify it as widespread, but then again, at the last dyno event, there were 3 there with problems and 2 had never had any mods done...

king D
06-04-2003, 20:26
jk do you happen to remember the model years on the 3 dmaxes....jess

Kennedy
06-05-2003, 07:50
All 2001 in this case...

truck_n
06-05-2003, 19:51
Who has the record for number of changed injectors? 7 were changed at 115,000 miles and I am back at the dealer now changing 4 more at 168,000 miles. Unfortunately I have the same experience with GM technical assistance and customer service. GM doesn't care because it's out of warranty and you can't talk with GM techs only dealer techs. My issue has been with the inability of the dealer to diagnose the problem or the problem injectors correctly. If it wasn't for the feedback and education from dmaxallitech and John Kennedy on this TDP, I would be replacing all 8 injectors instead of 4. Thanks for the advice.

Rebel_Horseman
06-21-2003, 01:01
I think I have the record. My 3 week long experience from the 9th level of Hades was:

8 injectors replaced, all "internal" fuel supply lines replaced (one of them was actually "rusted off" where it attached to the injector!) , and a new high pressure pump installed.

With that said, the tech took numerous tries to get the leak stopped and when they released the truck as "fixed" it was still spewing out diesel, though not as bad. Fortunately for me, the truck went bye bye 2 days ago in favor of a Ford.

Reb [><]

Burner
06-21-2003, 02:39
Reb, give me a shout. Twomuchplay@aol.com

Got some questions.

Burner-----> :D

pontiac_m18
06-22-2003, 10:23
HI, CAPTAIN MAL & I see that your truck was built at our plant!! Give me a e-mail with your # so we can talk!! Howard = howard_m18@yahoo.com :D :D :D

Bobcat698
06-22-2003, 12:04
Rebel_Horseman, did you decide to keep your Duramax?

I know I saw you over on the Ford site for a while & you were thinking about jumping ship....

Just Curious.

tswartos
06-22-2003, 12:17
bobcat - look a couple postings up, he sold it and got a Mustang.

opiekelly
06-24-2003, 13:08
Well I have had all 8 replaced at 9000 Miles. I now have 19K and no problems. My neighbor has a 2002 and his injectors are starting to fail. If the resale was any good on these trucks I would sell mine. All I can get on trade in is 25K for a 2001 LT crew cab fully loaded.