PDA

View Full Version : Hyped up Dmax

getupingo
06-04-2003, 23:06
well I got the hypertech power programmer and all I can say is wow :D Of course I programmed the 90hp/160lb ft into it right off the bat and took off down the road. It really sets ya back in the seat now!!! :D Best $349 I have ever spent. :D I also reprogrammed for my speedometer.

Thought about the juice, but I just couldn't justify it for almost 2x the price.

Goin the the drag strip this weekend. :D :D :D My best time so far was a 16.8 bone stock. What should I expect this weekend? 15.5? or better?

thanks
nos :cool:

Dawg
06-05-2003, 09:12
Tell us more about the programmer, both pro and con.

Thanks

Silver Bullet
06-05-2003, 11:35
I stopped by Reliable Chevy in Richardson, Texas this morning and noticed they were selling Hypertechs in the parts department!

hoot
06-05-2003, 11:54
Here's some info...

Hypertech (http://www.hypertech-inc.com/three_stage.html)

Silver Bullet
06-05-2003, 12:22
I was reading along and was thinking "hey, this thing has some cool features..." and then I pulled up the page that listed which of those features were available for the DMAX...and my smile.gif turned into a :( (Hypertech GM Feature Chart (http://www.hypertech-inc.com/gmfeaturechart.html)). The HP/torque is not bad for the money, but the only additional thing gained is tire size adjustment...which I believe my speedo is more accurate with my 285's than it was stock!

getupingo
06-05-2003, 12:52
I was a little disappointed that it only had the power features and speedometer recal for the Dmax, but then I saw the price, and for $349 plus tax you can't really go wrong. The speedometer recal was great and I believe it is far more accurate now than it was before with my 285s. Before, it was about 5 mph too slow. Bottom line is you can't really beat it for $349. Anyone have actual dyno numbers on it yet?

nos :cool:

2DAMAX
06-05-2003, 13:02
A friend of mine was very unhappy with the hyper tech I will get some details from him on his comparison .I still run one of the B-D dynamite box's with 25k on my truck and have had no problems.

56Nomad
06-05-2003, 13:10
Wow..... I think this is what I've been looking for.
I was ready to go with the Juice, but I did't like
the "dance" programing you needed to do.

"dance"...
8. To adjust power level:

Set Park Brake
Turn key on, engine off (engine must not be running).
Select the desired transmission mode to set the power level for (Normal or Tow/Haul).
Place gear selector in the gear corresponding to desired power level (D=4, 3=3, 2=2, 1=1, R=0).
Press accelerator to the floor two times.
Return gear selector to Park and restart.

Power Level Confirmation

9. To confirm the power level that is selected:

Place gear selector in Park with foot off of the accelerator while engine is idling
Select Normal or Tow/Haul to confirm desired setting
Place gear selector to reverse, neutral, reverse, then back to park. P-R-N-R-P
The engine will rev to coincide with the power level selected"

This looks simple for a big dumb Swede to
install and program.

Looking forward to hearing from more users smile.gif

[ 06-05-2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

sdaver
06-05-2003, 13:42
yea I guess some dance steps are tough for some(but well worth it).........predator offers more features than hypertech and the juice makes more power and torque than either of theses......tst seems to be a upcoming strong contender and im anxious to try one :D dave

a64pilot
06-05-2003, 14:09
I think the "Dance" is a big reason that TST has the in cab controller or what ever it's called and Juice will very soon have theirs. It's a big reason I went with TST, that and the EGT limiter.

DinoMax
06-05-2003, 14:14
getupingo, I agree with Sdaver. The Predator has a few more functions than the the Hypertech, albeit at about $100. more (I paid $449. for mine), but still a lot of bang for the buck versus Juice, TST, etc. From what I've read in this forum, the Hypertech #'s arent as good. The v1.04 Predator allows you 5 different tunes (0, 40, 60, 85, 100 hp), speedo/odo calibrations, real time data monitoring, bigger/easy to read monitor, the ability to customize parameters, etc. The install is also very easy with the Predator. Sorry for the edit, but I forgot to mention that the Predator is also a scan tool, and can be used to reset SES lights smile.gif

[ 06-05-2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: DinoMax ]

Silver Bullet
06-05-2003, 14:18
Here is Hypertech's dyno...

Duramax HyperTech Dyno (http://www.hypertech-inc.com/jpegs/duramaxgraph.jpg)

sdaver
06-05-2003, 14:58
163 ftlbs vs 250ftlbs.......96rwhp vs 90 rwhp
the torque is where its at....see for yourself
http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/juice-chart.html

:D dave