PDA

View Full Version : Oil Again

bigbobed
04-27-2002, 07:58
After reading all of the threads on oil, I'm surprised I see no mention of Pennzoil or QuakerState. Any reasons for this? I've always used Pennzoil with good results.

mackin
04-27-2002, 10:24
bigbobed,
They have......
Pennzoil, Good oil, used it in ALL my vehicles...Only two times in my D-MAX........One simple reason I don't now is it "STINKS"......Smells like you have a direct drip on the manifold always IMHO.......If you choose to use I would Extend the crank case vent tube that is behind the left front wheel down to some where it is not so close to your sniffer and everyone else.........Unless of course you like the smell of hot motor oil........ Yes, the smell is prevalent in all oils some worse than others..Completley normal for our D-MAX to do this.....No PVC system but a direct vent....I smell AMSOIL SYN.,which I use, only for the first day after a change......Quacker State someone else will chime in for that brand ,never used.......Good Luck...if you like penn..USE IT......My buddy buys it by the drum. He runs it in all his over the road tractor's and every thing he owns ,I use to get it from him for free too......Still switched......
MAC :D :D

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

george morrison
04-27-2002, 13:59
Pennzoil and Quaker State have merged; both plants in Pennsylvania have been shut down or sold and all of both products come out of the same refinery in Louisiana, packaged on same line, etc..
Same goes for Kendall, which was another Pennsylvania oil which was purchased by Sunoco; the Bradford, Pa. refinery was sold and recently the brand name was sold to Tosco, which is essentially a marketing company now..

LA DMAX
04-27-2002, 14:16
George, since you are the man when it comes to oil, what do you think of the Kendall diesel oils? I only ask because my dealer uses Kendall. I looked them up on their web page but I can't make complete sense of all the numbers. Can you give your honest opinion? Many thanks.

LA DMAX

1BADDMAX
04-27-2002, 14:27
I use Rotella T and can smell it for a couple days after I change it. It's not big deal. I know it's going to smell so I live with it.