PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change

johns
04-27-2002, 10:39
1,600 miles and just did my first oil change. Must have had a couple of gorillas building motors the day mine was put together. :mad: I needed a breaker bar to get the oil plug out. :eek: Talking about being nervous.

Then came the oil filter. Nearly blew an artery in my head trying to get the oil filter off. :confused: Finally gave up. As much as I hate to not change the filter, I didn't want to have to disassemble the motor to change the filter. Next oil change the dealer gets to do it. Let them fight with it.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the assembler at the factory would do this. Is it a joke that they chuckle about when they go home? :rolleyes: wait til some idiot tries to take that filter off......heh..heh..heh..heh..snicker..snicker :mad: :mad: :(

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: johns ]</p>

mackin
04-27-2002, 10:52
johns,

Yup, I know what your saying...I swear they are self tightening.....What type of filter wrench do you use? Forget about a steel band style, I use the "socket" type with a 3/8 ratchet with good results......Some use a strap wrench the type that you can put a wrench or a ratchet on. If you know what I mean.....You put it around then roll up the slack in the direction you want to go.....Lefty loosey...Righty Tighty.......Good Luck
MAC.... smile.gif
They need to be tight but not over tight due to the high oil pressure in our trucks......

pushpole
04-27-2002, 14:30
19.99 gets you two strap wrenchs from Sears. The larger one should do the trick.

MNBowTie
04-27-2002, 16:41
johns,

Yep, the strap wrench is what I use, works great. If you have a AutoZone near you they are about $6.00. Then get your Fumoto valve with the nipple $26 and a hose, drain it into a bucket. Life will then be good and you wont have to pay the dealer $40, or more $. PS I drive my front tires onto a pair of 6x6 blocks. just perfect for creaper clearance.

:D :D

Joe.G
04-27-2002, 17:12
Turn the new filter up finger tight with grease on the rubber seal, then grab it and turn 1/4 turn more and you are set. If it's hard to get off then you didn't grease the rubber gasket enough. Hope this helps you non-mechanical types!

johns
04-27-2002, 19:15
I always use a bit of the new oil to coat the gasket on the new filter. I was using one of those band self tightening filter wrenches. After a put the new oil in, I found the "socket" type on the bottom of the bag. I forgot I bought it. The Fumoto valve (with the nipple) is on order. Just didn't get it in time for this weekend.

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: johns ]</p>

White Knight
04-28-2002, 05:03
"Turn the new filter up finger tight with grease on the rubber seal, then grab it and turn 1/4 turn more and you are set."

My new GM oil filter was marked with something like 1 - 1 1/4. I took that to mean that the filter should be tightened one to one and one-quarter turn after contact.