PDA

View Full Version : Aux Fuel Tank

millietom
04-28-2002, 11:56
I want to install the Auxilliary fuel tank in my Duramax 2500HD pickup that I was using with my 6.5 diesel pickup. I let the return flow go back into the main tank so going thru the fuel cooler isn't a problem. My problem is the largest transfer valve that I can find is 3/8 inch ID and the OD of the fuel line on the new truck is almost 1/2 inch. Do you techs think that is too much restriction? My max. pulling is 11,000 lb. trailer up 8% grade.

The tank is mounted in the pickup box.

Tom

Joe Dawson
04-28-2002, 12:34
I had a tank installed in my truck and the lines running from the auxillary tank to the valve are 3/8 and I have had no problems at all. I have towed my 11000 lb 5er up steep mountain passes with no sign of fuel starvation. I don't know how you can run the return from the auxillary tank into the main tank without draining the auxillary tank into the main tank. If the main tank has fuel in it you would have fuel running all over.

millietom
04-28-2002, 13:22
Thanks for the info. Re: aux tank running into main tank. Use main tank first, watch main tank fuel gauge and when main tank is full switch to main tank. Did it on my 6.5 and never did run main tank over.

Tom

mechanicwillie
04-28-2002, 14:21
the way i have put in aux tanks is with 3/8 hose from the tank to a 12 volt on and off solienod.which is wired to a switch in the dash.
cut the main fill hose put in a pipe with a nipple which is hook to the solienod.do not cut the hose inside the main fill hose.
when the main tank is below half the driver flips the switch on the go and fills the main tank.
we have had trouble were you keep your main tank full to long on trips or so the computer sees a problem and the fuel guage goes to empty.the computer is preprogramed for the truck to do so and so many approx kms to a tank of fuel.