PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power

TheGraniteMan
07-01-2005, 17:17
I have a 2002 duramax with 123000 miles on it. The truck was Knocking and smoking before it died. Dealer replaced 8 injectors (warrenty) and the injector pump(which I paid for). The truck has no low end power. Its like when I floor it, it is gradually picking up speed, but not with all the power I had before. The engine doesnt miss or anything. I am also hearing a metalic pop, like something heating up and going tingggg. It does it about every 2 minutes when it is running and even when it is turned off for about 5 minutes. It sounds like it is coming from the center top of the motor. I would think that changing injectors and pump would give better performance. I do not have any modifications to my truck either. I really dont hear the turbo either. The power comes back when the engine gets up to about 2500rpm to 3000rpm. know on the low end its a dog on take offs In 1st and 2nd gear until the rpms get to 2500. Any ideas? There was diesel in the oil when they change injectors.

More Power
07-02-2005, 10:30
I'd want to verify injector balance, fuel rates, APP (accelerator pedal position) function, boost pressures, and whether any DTC's exist, etc. A good tech can do this for you, and it shouldn't cost you.

You could do this by yourself using one of the aftermarket programmers as well.

MP

Tough Guy
07-02-2005, 15:16
It sounds like your turbo may not be working properly or at all...

If you had fuel in the oil its possible your turbo was not being lubricated properly and may need replaced.

I agree with MP about getting get the DTC checked first.

Cheers

TheGraniteMan
07-03-2005, 04:02
when i when to pick up my truck I heard a bad noise like a bad bearing coming from the front of the truck by the idler pully. I thought it was the idler pully. The service guy heard it too.. But the sound went away. could I of heard the turbo making bad sounds through that pipe that goes to the front by the radiator? I checked my milage on the 1st 1/2 tank of fuel and I got 159 mile and put in 15.4 gallons. I topped it off just after picking it up from the dealer. The miles that I drove were mainly highway miles too empty. 10 miles to the gallon is not what I was getting.