PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in Mexico

Bill W
07-03-2005, 15:07
I will be making trips in Mexico with my 2005 Duramax. I will be taking extra fuel filters. What else would be recommended in travel south of the border?

More Power
07-05-2005, 14:06
About 4 years ago we ran a story on a Duramax that pulled a travel trailer from Wisconsin to Panama. There was no mention in the article about bad fuel, but you're wise to take a couple extra filters with you. I'd also make sure you have the necessary tools to change the filter.

Good luck,

MP

Kennedy
07-05-2005, 17:34
Gardnerteam is the guy to ask. He's been all the way to Central America several times as I recall.

silverback
07-06-2005, 19:56
If you buy from Pemex (state owned petrol company) you should be OK. I think you can even plot out all the stations along your route (I'll look around the web). I wouldn't buy from the guys on the side of the road with a pump on a 50 gallon drum. I bought gas at Pemex stations deep down into Baja. As for diesel, my experience is you may be pulling up at the pumps behind a road grader or other such equipment. You should also bring gloves and booties. The station I went to in Puerto Penasco had diesel puddles on the pavement around the pumps. Also at the gas pumps the attendants pump your fuel and take your money. When I asked the guy to work the diesel pump he gave me the key and told me to pay him when I was finished (in passable English). One last thing, it's all metric so you'll need to convert liters to gallons for MPG and bring plenty of pesos (or dollars). Like Europe fuel is more expensive in Mexico.
Have a great trip,
KL

Kennedy
07-07-2005, 04:24
Added filtration would be #1 priority prior to leaving on this trip...