PDA

View Full Version : FRAM valve

JEBar
04-29-2002, 03:54
While watching Sunday's NASCAR race, I saw several commericials for a FRAM oil drain plug. It looked good on the tube but that really means very little. It appears it might solve the problem with the Fumoto valve accidently opening. Has anyone actually seen or tried this product? :confused:

IndigoDually
04-29-2002, 06:17
I believe that it works on the same principle as a hydraulic quick connect, the only catch appears that you need to have the fitting and hose that they supply in order to drain it. So you need to carry the oily tube and fitting if you plan to change the oil on the road.

I saw ot a my local Wally World and I wasn't sure what the thread was formy '94 and the application book lists two threads for the 6.5 so I did not get one. I think it was either $14.95 or $19.95

John

JEBar
04-29-2002, 18:27
thanks for the info ... any ideal what thread would be needed for a D'max? :confused:

dmaxstu
04-29-2002, 20:13
JEBar
Tell me more about that fumoto valve accidentally opening. I have used it for 5years on another vehicle and can't imagine that it could open without someone manipulating it. I am about to install one on my Dmax but maybe I'll wait till someone tels me something I don't know.I have never heard of an incidence where this valve opened by accident. Stu

White Knight
04-30-2002, 05:33
I checked at Wal*Mart yesterday and the Fram book did not list a drain valve for the Duramax.

huntindog
04-30-2002, 06:31
dmaxstu, check this out.http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003018

JEBar
04-30-2002, 17:28
dmaxstu ===> alert provided by Huntindog on this board on the 24th. I was about to purchase a Fumoto but am looking for other options based on info given in the discussion he opened. Right now don't know what I am going to do ... the FRAM looked good on TV but it appears they may not have a unit for our trucks :confused:

Colorado Kid
04-30-2002, 17:39
The good news is that these trucks will send you a "Check Oil Level" message before any real harm is done, and if you get out and reclose the valve then you'll be OK. I'm going to keep using the Fumoto Valve...maybe increase to carrying 2 spare quarts of oil. The moral of the story is, if the message comes on :eek: stop and check it out, don't just keep driving till you get home.

DmaxMaverick
04-30-2002, 19:25
The incident that was reported by huntindog is the one and only case that I've heard of. Ever. With all the thousands of valves out there, one incident is no reason to become alarmed. The chance to be struck by lightning greater. If you are afraid it will open, then tie it shut with your method of choice. The valve, if it hasn't been modified or damaged, cannot open on its own. It requires some physical intervention. If you think that there is even a remote chance that you could be in a situation that could cause the valve to open, then tie it shut. I've been using the Fumoto valve on my Duramax for over a year without incident, and will continue as before.

As for the Fram valve, I saw it on a commercial. Looks neat. Anyone that has had any experience with hydraulic quick couplers knows that they are good, but are not 100% reliable. Even the best ones don't always close completely, and eventially begin leaking. I can't believe the bean counters at Fram have allowed into their budget the use of the highest quality materials. Most of us know what they did to the quality of their filters over the years. It also appears that the drain rate of oil would be very slow compared to the Fumoto valve, and extremely slow compared to just the drain plug. Anywho, that's my 2